Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ordering Questions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

240vPlug

Feb 3, 2021
Maryland
Hello All,

To start I must say that for a long time I thought Tesla was overpriced and over hyped. I have been in a Chevy Bolt for 3.5 years and am planning to move into a MYLR very soon. My opinion changed last Saturday when I test drove a MYLR and I fell in love with it.

Anyway I am looking to order and the showroom sales person says they have what I want in stock. Should I be picking up one that is in stock or should I just order it online? I was always under the impression that they were made to order and that Tesla didn't stock vehicles at the showrooms. So my concern is that the vehicle they have in stock may be one that was ordered and the buyer refused delivery. Anyway I am just curious what all the knowledgeable folks here would do? I don't want to wait a long time but I also don't want a vehicle with quality issues either.

I am looking for the following config:
MYLR
Midnight Silver Metallic
19’’ Gemini Wheels
Tow Hitch
Five Seat Interior
NO FSD

Thank you all!

They do have stock vehicles and it is NOT indicative of a delivery refusal. Consider yourself lucky and welcome to the Tesla family!! Regardless, you will be given the opportunity to inspect the vehicle and refuse it if it does not meet your approval. Let us all know what happens and hopefully post photos of your new MY

• Helpful
Reactions: IdaX
It depends on how long of a wait do you consider long. It seems lately that if you order a non performance version you will get matched with a VIN within a month or less. Some peeps that have ordered 7-seaters in January are already getting notices for estimated delivery times.

Model 3 and Ys are not really made to order, but they are made in batches. Depending on your config and what is happening at the factory you could be matched fairly quickly if the timing is right... or you could wait for a month or 2 if your timing is off. Inventory cars can be cars built in those batches that didn't get a match to a buyer so they are not necessarily indicative of a rejected delivery.

Hello All,

To start I must say that for a long time I thought Tesla was overpriced and over hyped. I have been in a Chevy Bolt for 3.5 years and am planning to move into a MYLR very soon. My opinion changed last Saturday when I test drove a MYLR and I fell in love with it.

Anyway I am looking to order and the showroom sales person says they have what I want in stock. Should I be picking up one that is in stock or should I just order it online? I was always under the impression that they were made to order and that Tesla didn't stock vehicles at the showrooms. So my concern is that the vehicle they have in stock may be one that was ordered and the buyer refused delivery. Anyway I am just curious what all the knowledgeable folks here would do? I don't want to wait a long time but I also don't want a vehicle with quality issues either.

I am looking for the following config:
MYLR
Midnight Silver Metallic
19’’ Gemini Wheels
Tow Hitch
Five Seat Interior
NO FSD

Thank you all!
Take a look at this post and spreadsheet. This might give you a rough idea on timeframe of how long orders are taking right now.
Teslike Model Y Survey & Order Tracker

Not everybody is entering their information but you get a pretty good sense of how long things are taking. I ordered mine on 1/4/21 and took delivery on 1/22/21 which was about the time frame on the spreadsheet at that time.

• Informative
Reactions: angus[Y]oung
OP, i got my order same day I placed the reservation and even picked it up. It was not a rejected car as it was produced less than a week prior. Also I would check the vin numbers, what are the first 2 of the last 5? what is the mileage on the car? Mine was 12.

As other have stated they stock common configurations based on historic data at various locations.

Thank you all for the replies! Ok, I don't see any inventory when I pull up the Tesla site and the link the salesperson sent me isn't working. I will try to get the VIN and look that up. I can't wait to get the car.

You did not state whether you want the white interior or the black interior. That may make it more difficult to match your order with a vehicle. I moved to my LRMY last June, coming from a 2017 Volt. Never looked back. You can charge the MY using the same 240V charging setup you used with the Bolt. Every Tesla includes a J1772 adapter (I use one at home and keep a second J1772 adapter in the Model Y.)

When you inspect the vehicle make sure the Tesla Mobil Connector kit is in the vehicle (the J1772 adapter should be in the kit.) If you want the NEMA 14-50 plug adapter for the Tesla Mobile Connector you have to purchase it for $35 (the Service Center may have this in stock or you can order form the Tesla online store.)

Since you live in Maryland you should also receive the Tesla Tire Repair kit ($80 value, at no charge) (It is not because Tesla thinks you're special. It is because in Maryland new vehicles sold in the state must include a spare tire and tire changing tools or a tire inflation/repair kit. So now you know.)

• Informative
Reactions: CapsEngineer
It doesn't say 50 miles. The exact wording says "less than 50 miles odometer" So it could be 10 miles or 49 miles. Your right I forgot the interior color! I want black...I had a light colored interior once....and don't want it again.

My contract also said 15 and it had 12. 50 on any car seems high. I have never had a new car with more than 20 on the clock. 90% were in the 10-15miler range.

I would be interest to know exactly the OD reading and what day the car was produced on. All this info the sales advisor should have no issue providing.

My contract also said 15 and it had 12. 50 on any car seems high. I have never had a new car with more than 20 on the clock. 90% were in the 10-15miler range.

I would be interest to know exactly the OD reading and what day the car was produced on. All this info the sales advisor should have no issue providing.

You shouldn't be too concerned about the odometer reading. We picked our Model Y up at the factory and it still had a few miles on it. The title said 17 miles, but I'm pretty sure that it was in the low single digits.

It appears that Tesla doesn't bother to adjust the displayed miles, at least in the U.S. For comparison BMW has an odometer adjustment of up to 64 km, 40 miles, so that delivered cars can have a displayed value close to zero at delivery. Presumably that avoids customers upset that a car needs to be driven to get onto the ship and transporters, and wants it to be fully factory tested but without the wheels turning.

Since you live in Maryland you should also receive the Tesla Tire Repair kit ($80 value, at no charge) (It is not because Tesla thinks you're special. It is because in Maryland new vehicles sold in the state must include a spare tire and tire changing tools or a tire inflation/repair kit. So now you know.)

Good to know. My wife's MKZ came equipped with the Lincoln equivalent, but Lincoln does that for all their cars that don't have a spare.

One less thing on my "To Buy" list.

The car has 2.9 miles on it and it is in transit. He says that it would likely have 4-5 miles on it when I take delivery. It is not in stock as I originally thought it is in transit.

On the spare tire topic....there is one other note. Neither of those items is required if the vehicle is equipped with "self seal" or "run flat" tires. The Bolt EV came with Michelin Self Seal from the factory.

Sounds like you found a gem and got lucky! Waiting seriously is one of the hardest parts!

Obviously you’ve already fallen in love with the car and know the basic differences from the Bolt... but wait till you road trip and need to quick charge. Compared to the Bolt I think you’ll be amazed with the Tesla, both on the ease of finding a charge, how well its integrated into the nav and your trip, and then the speed once you plug in. Wouldn’t be surprised if you just sit in the car the first time fir a few minutes watching the kW level and smiling. The other guys are slowly starting to catch up on charging speed, but it’s still a spot where Tesla really hands down just has it *right*.