Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

OTA Maintenance experience

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This story started last Friday evening, I heard there were cool updates coming out so I hooked up Orion (2019 Tesla Model 3 Mid-Range RWD with FSD HW2.5) to Wifi and pushed the update button and got a (V9.0 2019.8.6.1) didn't seem to give me any significant changes. I chalked it up to another bug-fix and shrugged it off until...

Next after noon I decided to go shopping and there happened to be a lot of traffic, I turned on AP to avoid the hassle (I don't think I need to express what AP does on traffic, it basically makes the experience speechlessly remarkable!) 5 minutes on the console glows red and alerts me to take control immediately and decelerates gradually. I grabbed the wheel and then the pedal. the cruise control was unavailable at that point... you may question yourself is it one of those moments where a dumb distracted driver ignores the steering warning, well no... my hand never really left the wheel, there were no warnings proceeding the incident... and here is where things get really interesting.

AP is completely (DEAD) No speed indicators, no car shadows, no grey lines, no nothing, if you attempt to turn it on message "Cruise is not available" beeps on the media console unit and nothing more.

the first thing a Tesla Owner would do is to park the car and Hard-Reset (pedal+knobs) because this is a AP computer responsible a normal MCU reset wouldn't make sense to even try... nothing changed no AP.
Let's try harder some googling will tell you that this is a known issue where Sentry mode will glitch your controls.
many owners experiencing this issue blamed it on many things of those sensible ones were (USB corrupted something, Sentry mode screwed up Sensor to AP handover or crashed it, The recent Update is incremental so it didn't correctly patched the old code and now you have old AP firmware misaligned with MCU's new update or vice-versa.).

Out of desperation I did a factory reset, nothing happened.
Then I took to YouTube videos (YouTube didn't disappoint me in finding weirdest solutions in other things before... so.)
While I don't know the root-cause of the problem one pattern aligned most people were saying Sentry Mode is at fault, the YouTube videos said the same, so unplug the hard drive, run diskcheck on it, plug it back in turn off Sentry Mode. turn off car. turn car back on. nothing.... turn on and off Sentry Mode, turn off.
I sent emails to Tesla and scheduled an appointment explaining the problem

Next morning it worked... no Wifi, no charging... it just worked :S did they force push a patch over LTE?
Not sure, but later that day the service consultant reaches via SMS and says have you tried "turning off Sentry Mode, unplugging harddrive and leaving the car to idle turned off for about 20 minutes" I said "Yes!, that seems to have resolved it for now"

The sales consultant replied by, there's a software upgrade for your car, please install it. I checked my app and now I get a new software update (Lo and behold I just installed the latest for my vehicle I thought???)

Click... Install.... Update... I'm now on V9.0 2019.16.3.2 the car changed.
* it's driving got smoother.
* sentry mode now has it's own button next to the network and Bluetooth buttons
* console buttons got cleaned up, no more scrolling, sentry mode slider got bigger and has exclusion options
* autonomy sensor visual now shows my car is extremely high detail (glass roof indicators light up, fancy animation zoom in and zoom out, lines are smoother, etc)
* Charging is supposed to be 25% faster

OwO Sentry Mode never broken my car again thus far, I'm now charging in public and having it turned on.

I wanted to share this experience to highlight what just happened:
* My appointment got cancelled and my car fixed over the air
* My Auto-pilot handed over controls smoothly when it failed instead of working half way insecurely
* A glitch lead me to get an (Upgrade) in software I don't think I was meant to have yet.

Reactions: VT_EE
This has been reported around, does appear Sentry grabs the cameras and has to be reset to ‘give them back’ to AP. Glad they got you squared away!

Just as a by the way, there is one user reset for the MCU (the scroll wheels). There is no ‘AP computer’ reset. You can reset the binnacle in an MCU 1 car using the touch pads on the steering wheel but it doesn’t do much.

Factory reset is really for when you sell the car; I’ve been asked by Tesla to do the power off in the menu to get a ‘better shutdown’ to be sure the car is starting up from zero. That is the best was to restart everything.

What software weren’t you not supposed to have yet? Many are on 2019.20.1 (including one of my cars). 16.3.2 has been out for weeks. 8.6.1 is from March.

• Informative
Reactions: C141medic
This has been reported around, does appear Sentry grabs the cameras and has to be reset to ‘give them back’ to AP. Glad they got you squared away!

Just as a by the way, there is one user reset for the MCU (the scroll wheels). There is no ‘AP computer’ reset. You can reset the binnacle in an MCU 1 car using the touch pads on the steering wheel but it doesn’t do much.

Factory reset is really for when you sell the car; I’ve been asked by Tesla to do the power off in the menu to get a ‘better shutdown’ to be sure the car is starting up from zero. That is the best was to restart everything.

What software weren’t you not supposed to have yet? Many are on 2019.20.1 (including one of my cars). 16.3.2 has been out for weeks. 8.6.1 is from March.

Thanks for the power off advice. ^^ as for software then why don't I have 20.1? Is it available only by "Advanced" option?

From your experience is it stable on M3? Should I request it from the sales rep? :) Thanks for taking the time to reply!

Interesting, I just got my car a couple days ago and was told it has the latest software.... and it is on 2019.16.3.2. Now there is a 20.1?

In Agile development there are several software cycles (channels) as a non EAP tester, you would rather prefer staying on the stable version than the latest version, I'm only guessing here but sounds like level 20 is where you have Enhanced Summon and maybe Street traffic. That package can have defects xD

In Agile development there are several software cycles (channels) as a non EAP tester, you would rather prefer staying on the stable version than the latest version, I'm only guessing here but sounds like level 20 is where you have Enhanced Summon and maybe Street traffic. That package can have defects xD

2019.20.2.1 - Doesn't have the enhanced summon, just a change to Dog Mode (sends alerts) and auto display brightness change.

I don't think you get 'non-stable branches' of the software unless you are in the Early Access Program and I don't think the Advanced setting doesn't toggle this.

2019.20.2.1 - Doesn't have the enhanced summon, just a change to Dog Mode (sends alerts) and auto display brightness change.

I don't think you get 'non-stable branches' of the software unless you are in the Early Access Program and I don't think the Advanced setting doesn't toggle this.

Call me skeptical but a jump from 16 to 20 cannot be just brightness... It must be an EAP cycle. Either way I'm happy and I don't want Autopilot blowing up from an update again.

748B6D73-CE7C-4588-AD87-B9B22E293ED7.png
Call me skeptical but a jump from 16 to 20 cannot be just brightness... It must be an EAP cycle. Either way I'm happy and I don't want Autopilot blowing up from an update again.
You can see there are many versions out there but only two main ones. You should be getting 20.1 soon

Yeah, it's probably the week of the year that the branch was created, then the next two digits are patch levels for that release, but I agree, the 2019.20 doesn't signify anything other than when it was created.
Probably? We’ve known how the numbering works for years. :)

For the 3 there is no major change that we’re aware of. Always tweaks below the surface. The X got ‘walk away lock honk’ which the 3 has had for months and months. :D

20.1 may fix Cabin Overheat Protection and Sentry/Alarm and who knows. We never get full release notes, unfortunately.

If you have Advanced enabled, and the car is on WiFi all the time, you may get it quicker. Sometimes be careful what you wish for!

Neither of these releases are early access, btw.

Reactions: Matt L
I had the same thing happened to me. AP no longer available and it was like the cameras stop seeing stuff. I called Tesla support on the spot. They had me click “power off” under safety and security. Told me to wait at least 2 mins to allow the system to fully shut down. I waited little over two mins and booted it back up. Sure enough, autopilot was back again