Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Other NC Model S owners, Question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have my first Tesla on order (P85D). I live in Charlotte and need to install the HPWC in garage. Wondering if other NC people have done this and specifically if a safety disconnect was required if the main breaker box is not in line of sight. thank you, joe

I have the 14-50. works great for me.

IMG_2867.jpg
IMG_2869.jpg

The NEC says that it is sufficient for the breaker to have a permanent lockout mechanism. I don't think line of sight is a requirement as long as there is a way to put a lock on the breaker to keep it open while someone is working on the HPWC. Of course at the end of the day it's up to the interpretation of the inspector. I'd call your local inspection department and talk to one if the electrical inspectors.

The NEC says that it is sufficient for the breaker to have a permanent lockout mechanism. I don't think line of sight is a requirement as long as there is a way to put a lock on the breaker to keep it open while someone is working on the HPWC. Of course at the end of the day it's up to the interpretation of the inspector. I'd call your local inspection department and talk to one if the electrical inspectors.

Thanks that's good advice.

jsaccio, I am also in Charlotte though I have not yet ordered. Still working out other logistics. If you find you are happy with your electrical work, please share details. The last three electricians I worked with in other projects around the house have been leaving much to be desired and would like to find a good one before I get to the point of making any changes to support a HWPC. I know I would need a new run as even my current run only has a 30 AMP fuse (NEMA 6-30? I know it's a three prong my dryer uses today). Thankfully, when the Charlotte Service Center opens up next month, it will only be 5 miles from my house and there is an EV charging station at work, and the Supercharger being built on the North side of town. Given my mostly local driving, I would be covered for a while. Best wishes and congratulations on your P85D!

I still use my AeroVironment EVSE from my LEAF with the Model S. It was professionally installed by an AV-trained electrician, who pulled a permit from the City of Raleigh prior to the installation. My breaker box is in line of sight to the EVSE and there is no lockout on the breaker.

I still use my AeroVironment EVSE from my LEAF with the Model S. It was professionally installed by an AV-trained electrician, who pulled a permit from the City of Raleigh prior to the installation. My breaker box is in line of sight to the EVSE and there is no lockout on the breaker.

Your Leaf EVSE was likely a 30A model. The lockout is only required for EVSEs that are rated for higher than 60A. The relevant part of the NEC is section 625.23.

http://www.psrc.org/assets/3729/A_NEC_625_2008.pdf

I've had a Model S in Charlotte for 2 years, and unless you know you'll need the quick charging from an HPWC at home I would advise against the extra expense of the dual chargers and the HPWC setup. The NEMA 14-50 in my garage charges at 29 miles per hour and I've never needed faster charging. I've also never encountered a need for the dual chargers away from home. Finally, Tesla is in the late stages of installing a Supercharger in the Mallard Creek area off I-85, so if you need to take a longer trip and haven't charged fully you can stop by there on your way out to charge up at maximum speed.

Subpanel for HPWC

If you have the space, installing a 100 to 120 amp subpanel near the HPWC is a practical approach. You gain an effective cutoff, and could add in a different future tech, or a 120 outlet etc.. I think one other advantage is asking an electrician to install a subpanel is what they do all day long, then it is a short hop to the HPWC. When you ask for the HPWC, if it is far from your main entrance/main panel, they may pad pricing heavily since they are in unfamiliar territory.

I differ from babyrocket... I would strongly suggest the dual chargers. You won't use them often, but when you need it, having 58mph charging at home can be very helpful, plus you may benefit from someone else's HPWC or other faster charging option while travelling.... such as at a Tesla service/sales center.

Last edited:
Curious if you have gone to Asheville and back? If so, where did you charge? thx, joe

- - - Updated - - -

curious if you have gone to Asheville and back, if so where did you charge.
I've had a Model S in Charlotte for 2 years, and unless you know you'll need the quick charging from an HPWC at home I would advise against the extra expense of the dual chargers and the HPWC setup. The NEMA 14-50 in my garage charges at 29 miles per hour and I've never needed faster charging. I've also never encountered a need for the dual chargers away from home. Finally, Tesla is in the late stages of installing a Supercharger in the Mallard Creek area off I-85, so if you need to take a longer trip and haven't charged fully you can stop by there on your way out to charge up at maximum speed.

I have to disagree with this. If you think you might need to quick charge, get the dual chargers. For example, if you ever need to visit Boone, NC, the only place to really charge there is the Makato's Japanese restaurant that has a HPWC. Without second chargers, you will take twice as long to charge. I eventually ended up buying a HPWC as well for home and it has actually come in handy a few times where I was going on a long trip and had forgotten to plug in the night before, or when I needed to run some errands the morning before a road trip and wanted to top-off before heading out.

My recommendation would be to get dual chargers without HPWC unless you think you'll need the HPWC, but run enough power so you could install a HPWC in the future if needed. If someone is thinking of buying a second UMC so you can leave one at home and keep one in the car, then definitely buy a HPWC instead. It's not much more than a second UMC.