Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Out of State Pickup -- Activated Subscription FSD for the drive back?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey TMC Folks-Long story short, does anybody know how long it takes from signing up for $199/mo FSD to actually getting the features on the car?

I ordered a Model Y 2 months ago with slated delivery being pushed back from September all the way to December. I was able to get alerted to a out of state new inventory Model Y which almost exactly matches my config. Decided to just get that one instead to not have to wait until December. Tesla can't ship to my local Service Center. The drive back is going to be about 6 hours. I'm going to fly out in the morning, get delivery and drive the car back.

I would love to be able to use FSD on the drive back for safety, convenience, and workload. Does anybody know if I can even do that? The last time I did a software update from my MS 70 to 75, it took like a week and a half for the car to update. Is there any way to expedite the FSD update?

I can't sign up for FSD yet on the app since it hasn't been "delivered".

The last time I did a software update from my MS 70 to 75, it took like a week and a half for the car to update. Is there any way to expedite the FSD update?
I assume, as soon as you will have the App, you should be able to activate it, as long as been able to use Superchargers.
Are you talking about how long it would take to calibrate FSD before it will be possible to use it?

Note: I would be curious about how much sales taxes you will have to pay?
There was a thread about someone in Florida buying a car from California, and had to pay sales taxes for each state.

Nah I'm talking about turning it on after buying the upgrade. From my MS experience its not instantaneous. But I'd like to hear feedback from others after signing onto the $199/mo plan, how long it takes for the features to show up in the car.

I get that the car will take some time to calibrate to autosteer.

Really (at the moment) there's virtually no difference between having FSD or not, the automatic lane change (manually initiated) is something I do appreciate but would not be too hard to live without. NoA can be useful on complex freeway interchanges, but I don't really like the way the automatic lane changes are done.

Standard AP takes care of at least 90% of the safety convenience and workload issues.

Reactions: tstolze
NoA can be useful on complex freeway interchanges, but I don't really like the way the automatic lane changes are done.
When setting NoA (in particular in city driving or when trying to reach or exit from a supercharger),
review carefully the itinerary and each intersection provided.

When NoA is going to select an exit, be very careful to check that you are on the correct lane to exit safely.
See for example the following comments in this thread:

So many times, NoA selects a route making numerous detours not realising, using a bird eye overview, that there would be a much simpler and better itinerary.
It looks like NoA traces an imaginary straight line to go from point A to point B and try to stay as close a possible to this imaginary line.
Google Map in general makes a much better job, provides several options, and also allows to easily add Waypoints or modify, by moving around, the provided itinerary.

Last edited:
Standard AP takes care of at least 90% of the safety convenience and workload issues.
That is true now that I think about it. Either way I’ll see what happens if I activate it as soon as the car is delivered. But if its not able to be enabled immediately, you’re right normal autopilot on the highway should be enough to reduce workload for the long drive.
So many times, NoA selects a route making numerous detours not realising, using a bird eye overview, that there would be a much simpler and better itinerary.
That is good to know about. Something I have noticed even in older MS is the navigation is subpar when compared to Google Maps. Hopefully Tesla works out these issues. But either way, I’m excited to trial it out.

Hey TMC Folks-Long story short, does anybody know how long it takes from signing up for $199/mo FSD to actually getting the features on the car?

I ordered a Model Y 2 months ago with slated delivery being pushed back from September all the way to December. I was able to get alerted to a out of state new inventory Model Y which almost exactly matches my config. Decided to just get that one instead to not have to wait until December. Tesla can't ship to my local Service Center. The drive back is going to be about 6 hours. I'm going to fly out in the morning, get delivery and drive the car back.

I would love to be able to use FSD on the drive back for safety, convenience, and workload. Does anybody know if I can even do that? The last time I did a software update from my MS 70 to 75, it took like a week and a half for the car to update. Is there any way to expedite the FSD update?

I can't sign up for FSD yet on the app since it hasn't been "delivered".
Great question. I was planning on doing the same. Picking up my M3 SR+ on the 18th and have a 7 hour drive back home.

Great question. I was planning on doing the same. Picking up my M3 SR+ on the 18th and have a 7 hour drive back home.
I ended up making the 7.5 hour drive back from Cleveland without FSD. The other folks were right, it wasn't needed.

The Model Y vision based autopilot overall is so much more sharp and deliberate compared to the old Mobileye-based autopilot. The self-calibration completed in about 5 miles as indicated by the blue circular progress meter around the autopilot autosteer icon. In the 380 mile drive, with standard autopilot, other than two "events" it was mostly uneventful and not very stressful.

As a first timer driving long distance with the vision based autopilot:
  • Turning off autopilot to switch lanes is a tiny bit annoying.
  • Passing to the left of a semi with trailer, causes the computer to glitch just as you overtake. The autopilot system, for a fraction of section, thinks the semi is merging left into the rear quarter of the car. One time, it lurched the car to the left. I had to take over.
  • Autopilot at night turns on auto-high beam. And it seems auto-high beam is not as sensitive on the 2021 Model Y than the 2016 Model S. It kept high-beaming oncoming traffic and cars in front of me.
  • The autosteer is capped at 80 mph. I think this is temporary thing until a future update.
  • Sometimes I ride the left of the lane when passing on a turn with a semi or truck to my right. Even with autopilot off, the safety features (if on) is a tad too forceful in steering the car back into the lane.
  • High speed (80 mph) turns on the highway with tight lanes causes the car to ride the lanes half-and-half and ding at you at the same time, in the middle of a tight turn. This happened once on the mountainous roads of I-76 in PA. I had to take over.

Reactions: GeoG
I ended up making the 7.5 hour drive back from Cleveland without FSD. The other folks were right, it wasn't needed.

The Model Y vision based autopilot overall is so much more sharp and deliberate compared to the old Mobileye-based autopilot. The self-calibration completed in about 5 miles as indicated by the blue circular progress meter around the autopilot autosteer icon. In the 380 mile drive, with standard autopilot, other than two "events" it was mostly uneventful and not very stressful.

As a first timer driving long distance with the vision based autopilot:
  • Turning off autopilot to switch lanes is a tiny bit annoying.
  • Passing to the left of a semi with trailer, causes the computer to glitch just as you overtake. The autopilot system, for a fraction of section, thinks the semi is merging left into the rear quarter of the car. One time, it lurched the car to the left. I had to take over.
  • Autopilot at night turns on auto-high beam. And it seems auto-high beam is not as sensitive on the 2021 Model Y than the 2016 Model S. It kept high-beaming oncoming traffic and cars in front of me.
  • The autosteer is capped at 80 mph. I think this is temporary thing until a future update.
  • Sometimes I ride the left of the lane when passing on a turn with a semi or truck to my right. Even with autopilot off, the safety features (if on) is a tad too forceful in steering the car back into the lane.
  • High speed (80 mph) turns on the highway with tight lanes causes the car to ride the lanes half-and-half and ding at you at the same time, in the middle of a tight turn. This happened once on the mountainous roads of I-76 in PA. I had to take over.
Appreciate the update and detailed descriptions. I don’t see any reason to waste $200 on FSD other than to show off the smart summon. Lol
It’s 6:30am. I am in St. Louis MO. Our appointment is at 10:00. Excited to go get it and start the long 7 hour ride back home.
How many times did you have to stop to charge? Did your car have a full charge at pickup?

Reactions: tstolze
I assume, as soon as you will have the App, you should be able to activate it, as long as been able to use Superchargers.
Are you talking about how long it would take to calibrate FSD before it will be possible to use it?

Note: I would be curious about how much sales taxes you will have to pay?
There was a thread about someone in Florida buying a car from California, and had to pay sales taxes for each state.
You do not pay sales tax in each state. Just the state you license it in.

Appreciate the update and detailed descriptions. I don’t see any reason to waste $200 on FSD other than to show off the smart summon. Lol
It’s 6:30am. I am in St. Louis MO. Our appointment is at 10:00. Excited to go get it and start the long 7 hour ride back home.
How many times did you have to stop to charge? Did your car have a full charge at pickup?
Congrats! I also bought mine in STL. They have a great team there in the valley!

Mine was charged to 90%. I don’t believe the SC will charge to 100% and I have rarely charged to that level. I assume your headed home east 40? If so you will be able to stop at the new collinsville charger. It is the 250kw and chargers quite quickly.