Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Owner experiences: Range v Miles Driven

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
How are new owners finding the variance between range spent and real miles driven on various trips so far?

I did a 91 mile trip yesterday which involved some M25, Blackwall tunnel queues, waiting for 15 minutes at a supermarket, a ten minute acceleration display to a friend and crawling around in South London traffic with a drive thru stop for another 15 minutes on the way home. I drove the car normally ie not thinking of range and had air con and music on the entire time. Sentry was on during each stop too.

Once home I calculated I had used 106 miles of range versus those real 91 miles and was pretty happy with the car using only 15 miles for air con, sentry, music, speed demonstrations crawling in the lovely south London traffic etc. I thought the range hit for that type of trip would be a little higher.

How are new owners finding the variance between range spent and real miles driven on various trips so far?

I did a 91 mile trip yesterday which involved some M25, Blackwall tunnel queues, waiting for 15 minutes at a supermarket, a ten minute acceleration display to a friend and crawling around in South London traffic with a drive thru stop for another 15 minutes on the way home. I drove the car normally ie not thinking of range and had air con and music on the entire time. Sentry was on during each stop too.

Once home I calculated I had used 106 miles of range versus those real 91 miles and was pretty happy with the car using only 15 miles for air con, sentry, music, speed demonstrations crawling in the lovely south London traffic etc. I thought the range hit for that type of trip would be a little higher.

I popped into Bluewater (from Worthing) yesterday to test using the superchargers and found my actual range was just slightly above the predicted range graph on the energy tab.

Also, certainly on my i3 city driving, even if stop start is more efficient than motorway driving.