Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

P3D+ with OEM Sport 19’s?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
upload_2018-8-18_19-15-38.jpeg

upload_2018-8-18_19-16-13.jpeg

Here are some 19” sports I’m looking at buying for snow tires for my P+ preorder. I was able to get the seller to provide some pictures. Hopefully someone with better eyes than me is able to tell if these will work. Would be odd that Tesla would sell 19” winter tires, knowing plenty of folks will buy their setup from Tesla for ease, and not have the wheels seat properly.

View attachment 326911
View attachment 326913

Here are some 19” sports I’m looking at buying for snow tires for my P+ preorder. I was able to get the seller to provide some pictures. Hopefully someone with better eyes than me is able to tell if these will work. Would be odd that Tesla would sell 19” winter tires, knowing plenty of folks will buy their setup from Tesla for ease, and not have the wheels seat properly.
Those look like they should work. I think someone posted a picture of some Tesla 19” rims that did not have that clearance for the lip.

View attachment 326911
View attachment 326913

That appears to be the same machined step that my 20s have. Those should work just fine.

I dont shat about frak when it comes to wheels and tires.. but I can interpret and apply the knowledge of those more knowledgeable than me.

Sounds like one can keep the P3+ everything - but then swap for 18 inch wheels and tires, reducing weight and increasing range?

View attachment 326911
View attachment 326913

@Goosby,

^^^This. This is my sole reason for my OP. Im planning on running OEM 19’s on the P3D+ with winter tires and want to make sure they fit AND have the 3mm bore out to account for the lip on the P3D+ hub. I’ve run closeups of both photos (Sport 19 and Sport 20) and to my eye it ‘appears’ that the 19’s ‘Should’ work and fit with the same bore out.
I’d like a definitive confirmation from Tesla/Elon though. A Tweet from Elon possibly saying definitively “Yes....the Sport 19’s WILL fit the P3D+ (with the Upgrade Sport Package).
How hard is that?

P.S. Additional knowledge is always lauded but PLEASE keep this thread on track to the OP. Videos of the fact that ‘18” TST rims fit”! According to TSPortline do not help.

Thank You!

Ski

The original reason that manufacturers went to bigger wheels was to fit bigger brakes. Later that was picked up by people wanting that big brake look, but without the big brakes.

On a high performance vehicle, the strength of the wheels is tremendously important, expecially if the vehicle has high performance stickey tires or high torque motors.

Great care must be taken when you choose replacement wheels.

If you are installing less stickey winter spec tires on smaller wheels, you might be able to get away with wheels that have had material removed, but understand that this will considerably reduce the strength of those fittments.

Of course, using aftermarket wheels, the onus will always fall on the owner in case of disaster.

According to the Tesla website, their 19in wheels do not work on the P3+. I assume because they don't quite fit, though it doesn't actually say why on the page:

Model 3 19" Sport Wheel and Winter Tire Package

"*This package is not compatible with Model 3 Performance Dual Motor All-Wheel Drive configured with the Performance Upgrade – Contact your nearest Tesla Service Center for more details"

It says "with performance package" which means brakes. I guess it could be strength...

According to the Tesla website, their 19in wheels do not work on the P3+. I assume because they don't quite fit, though it doesn't actually say why on the page:

Model 3 19" Sport Wheel and Winter Tire Package

"*This package is not compatible with Model 3 Performance Dual Motor All-Wheel Drive configured with the Performance Upgrade – Contact your nearest Tesla Service Center for more details"

P3d+ has different hubs so you can't use the 18's or 19's. I guess if you customize them they should fit though.