TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

P3D+ with OEM Sport 19’s?

Discussion in 'Model 3: Driving Dynamics' started by Skione65, Aug 18, 2018.

1. Skione65

Skione65 Member

Has anyone put Tesla Sport 19’s on the P3D+ yet?

Ski

2. ronin

ronin Member

Looking forward to hearing this response.

But we should tweet Elon to make 19” Aeros for the P3D+, since we can’t put 18” aero.

3. Funkmobile

Funkmobile Member

T Sportline 18" Wheels clear the brake calipers on the P3D+:

So I wouldn't rule out the 18" aero's unless someone has actually tried it.

• Helpful x 1
  4. Daniel in SD

Daniel in SD Active Member

• Helpful x 1
  5. TheLocNar

TheLocNar Member

I asked them about the lip on the center bore in the comments to the video. If anyone hears from them in the meantime, pass along any info. I'd really like these for a winter setup.

6. ronin

ronin Member

Oh wow this is new. But wonder if they accounted for the 3mm lip ?

7. Funkmobile

Funkmobile Member

Also looking for 18's for my winter setup but this 3mm lip issue has derailed my plans so far.

• Like x 1
  8. Goosby

Goosby Member

upload_2018-8-18_19-15-38.jpeg
    upload_2018-8-18_19-16-13.jpeg

Here are some 19” sports I’m looking at buying for snow tires for my P+ preorder. I was able to get the seller to provide some pictures. Hopefully someone with better eyes than me is able to tell if these will work. Would be odd that Tesla would sell 19” winter tires, knowing plenty of folks will buy their setup from Tesla for ease, and not have the wheels seat properly.

9. Daniel in SD

Those look like they should work. I think someone posted a picture of some Tesla 19” rims that did not have that clearance for the lip.

10. TheLocNar

TheLocNar Member

Hopefully TSL will have some good news for us.

11. SD_Engnr

SD_Engnr Member

That appears to be the same machined step that my 20s have. Those should work just fine.

12. MXWing

MXWing Active Member

I dont shat about frak when it comes to wheels and tires.. but I can interpret and apply the knowledge of those more knowledgeable than me.

Sounds like one can keep the P3+ everything - but then swap for 18 inch wheels and tires, reducing weight and increasing range?

13. rdlink

rdlink Member

Two different wheels. The OP on that thread had bought the T Sportline wheels. The question here is whether the Tesla 19"s will work.

14. Daniel in SD

I know. I swear I saw a picture of Tesla 19” wheels that did not have the lip but I can’t find it so maybe not. The lesson here is to make sure your wheels fit before torquing them down.

• Like x 1
  15. Skione65

Skione65 Member

@Goosby,

^^^This. This is my sole reason for my OP. Im planning on running OEM 19’s on the P3D+ with winter tires and want to make sure they fit AND have the 3mm bore out to account for the lip on the P3D+ hub. I’ve run closeups of both photos (Sport 19 and Sport 20) and to my eye it ‘appears’ that the 19’s ‘Should’ work and fit with the same bore out.
    I’d like a definitive confirmation from Tesla/Elon though. A Tweet from Elon possibly saying definitively “Yes....the Sport 19’s WILL fit the P3D+ (with the Upgrade Sport Package).
    How hard is that?

P.S. Additional knowledge is always lauded but PLEASE keep this thread on track to the OP. Videos of the fact that ‘18” TST rims fit”! According to TSPortline do not help.

Thank You!

Ski

16. Uncle Paul

Uncle Paul Active Member

The original reason that manufacturers went to bigger wheels was to fit bigger brakes. Later that was picked up by people wanting that big brake look, but without the big brakes.

On a high performance vehicle, the strength of the wheels is tremendously important, expecially if the vehicle has high performance stickey tires or high torque motors.

Great care must be taken when you choose replacement wheels.

If you are installing less stickey winter spec tires on smaller wheels, you might be able to get away with wheels that have had material removed, but understand that this will considerably reduce the strength of those fittments.

Of course, using aftermarket wheels, the onus will always fall on the owner in case of disaster.

17. zippy

zippy Member

According to the Tesla website, their 19in wheels do not work on the P3+. I assume because they don't quite fit, though it doesn't actually say why on the page:

Model 3 19" Sport Wheel and Winter Tire Package

"*This package is not compatible with Model 3 Performance Dual Motor All-Wheel Drive configured with the Performance Upgrade – Contact your nearest Tesla Service Center for more details"

18. 22522

22522 Active Member

It says "with performance package" which means brakes. I guess it could be strength...

19. Glamisduner

Glamisduner Active Member

P3d+ has different hubs so you can't use the 18's or 19's. I guess if you customize them they should fit though.