Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

T Sportline 19s on a P3D+ rattling like crazy

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
IMG_0405.jpg
I recently picked up my Performance Model 3 and immediately took it over to my local (national chain) tire shop. they carefullly swapped out the factory wheels and installed a new set of T Sportline's Turbine style 19s. They mounted no issue, look great, and tire shop torque'd them up nice and good, to about 130lbs. After pulling away I heard some rattling at slow speeds < 40mph, high speeds I do not notice the rattling sound. It honestly sounds like it is coming from all 4 wheels, like they are loose, but they are not, they are on snug. I will go back to the tire shop tomorrow (they are close now) but why would I hear all of this rattling feedback?

Thanks for your input!

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: davidc18
@P3D_Denver,

Right now we’re trying to research and figure out if the 19” Sports will even fit in the P3D+ hubs due to something @FlyNavy01 discovered with a 3mm raised ‘lip’ on the hub of the P3D+. He tried to mount some aftermarket rims and had issue with them not sitting ‘flush’ to the hub due to the lip....turns out the inside of the 20” rim is bored out just to accommodate that lip.
Check post #23 and #29 in the following thread for this....photos included. There’s also a later post of the bore out on the inside of the 20” Sport rim.
Oh. @FlyNavy01 had to use 5mm spacers to get the rims to seat properly I believe. Maybe he can chime in here.

P3D+ misc info and pics- wheel weight, calipers, suspension

Let me know if what you find out.

Ski

I am going back to the tire shop tomorrow, to ask quesitons, and I am having the OEM 20" wheels re-installed, I only had them removed and had my winter setup (these 19" T Sport lines) installed so I could have the OEM 20" wheels painted black too.

No issues with brake caliper clearance. You can see the 19" wheel has less center hub touch, but it looks flush, and was torqued (as i said above) to spec ~129lbs. The black lines on the hub, are the wheel connection touch points from the OEM 20"s.

IMG_0408.jpg
IMG_0408.jpg
IMG_0410.jpg
IMG_0411.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_0409.jpg
    IMG_0409.jpg
    215.8 KB · Views: 53
  • Informative
Reactions: davidc18 and P85_DA
@P3D_Denver,

Right now we’re trying to research and figure out if the 19” Sports will even fit in the P3D+ hubs due to something @FlyNavy01 discovered with a 3mm raised ‘lip’ on the hub of the P3D+. He tried to mount some aftermarket rims and had issue with them not sitting ‘flush’ to the hub due to the lip....turns out the inside of the 20” rim is bored out just to accommodate that lip.
Check post #23 and #29 in the following thread for this....photos included. There’s also a later post of the bore out on the inside of the 20” Sport rim.
Oh. @FlyNavy01 had to use 5mm spacers to get the rims to seat properly I believe. Maybe he can chime in here.

P3D+ misc info and pics- wheel weight, calipers, suspension

Let me know if what you find out.

Ski
interesting, thank you Ski! I remember on my G35 coupe when I ran a winter setup I had to install center hub rings to account for a similar issue, maybe that is it! I will re-install my OEM 20"s tomorrow, but I need this resloved before Colorado snow starts in 2-3 months! :)

@P3D_Denver,

No problem. Hope you determine the issue. We’ve been trying to figure out of the Telstra 19”Sports will even fit on the P3D+ because we both want to run 19’s as a winter setup until @FlyNavy01 discovered that odd lip on the hub and resultant bore out on the stock 20’s.
This may be a partial answer.
Hope your shop determines something tomorrow but have them look at the hub closely after they pull the rims.

P.S. @FlyNavy01 used 5mm hubcentric spacers but 3mm May work....not sure though.

Ski

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Snerruc
My guess is that the wheel isn't flush against the rotor hat. That's sort of weak that the shop didn't notice it.
i think you are correct, they did say they were concerned with the wheel connection to the hub. Unfortuantely they closed right after I left. I will have them reinstall the 20"s tomorrow and hopefully T-Sport line is developing (maybe 3D-printing) some kind of center hub ring/attachment to resolve this.

i think you are correct, they did say they were concerned with the wheel connection to the hub. Unfortuantely they closed right after I left. I will have them reinstall the 20"s tomorrow and hopefully T-Sport line is developing (maybe 3D-printing) some kind of center hub ring/attachment to resolve this.

Do you know the centerbore of the Tsportline wheels? I'm having a set made for me by a friend, but my hub is probably a different size.

Do you know the centerbore of the Tsportline wheels? I'm having a set made for me by a friend, but my hub is probably a different size.

I do not know the centerbore, I can measure tomorrow after I get the OEM 20s re-installed.

I want T-Sportline to take resopnsiblity, I specifically asked them about 19" wheels on the P3D+ as I was concerned with larger red brake caliper clarance and they said it was not an issue. I made the dumb assumption they tested their wheels on a P3D+. Oh well, hopefully they can make me whole soon!

• Helpful
I do not know the centerbore, I can measure tomorrow after I get the OEM 20s re-installed.

I want T-Sportline to take resopnsiblity, I specifically asked them about 19" wheels on the P3D+ as I was concerned with larger red brake caliper clarance and they said it was not an issue. I made the dumb assumption they tested their wheels on a P3D+. Oh well, hopefully they can make me whole soon!

Have you spoken with them yet? If the wheels are hub centric, then they will need to be machined to fit, or you'll need a 3mm spacer.

• Informative
Reactions: P85_DA
I think it's real bad to torque down a wheel that's not flush with hub. My friend did that when he left an extra hub centric spacer on the hub when swapping the stock wheels back on to his car. It caused "galling" on the studs and they snapped when the wheel was removed (after he noticed it wasn't sitting flush). We had to replace the hub. Major PITA. Definitely give everything a very thorough looking over when they take off the wheels. Personally I wouldn't drive it if the wheels are loose.

I think it's real bad to torque down a wheel that's not flush with hub. My friend did that when he left an extra hub centric spacer on the hub when swapping the stock wheels back on to his car. It caused "galling" on the studs and they snapped when the wheel was removed (after he noticed it wasn't sitting flush). We had to replace the hub. Major PITA. Definitely give everything a very thorough looking over when they take off the wheels. Personally I wouldn't drive it if the wheels are loose.

I second this. I, personally, would not drive on them. Know anyone with a floor jack that can help you out?

• Informative
Reactions: Xenoilphobe
I second this. I, personally, would not drive on them. Know anyone with a floor jack that can help you out?
the tire shop is literally 1/4 mile away, i only put 15 miles on it, didn’t drive too fast, i think i’ll be ok.

thank you all for you’ve quick responses! i’m
so glad i didn’t drive more than 15miles!

Last edited:
Here is another photo of the 3mm lip on the hub of the Performance Model 3...a 5mm spacer was used to permit flush mounting the wheel.
I would recommend that you return the wheels to Tsportline and let them know about the fitment issue...a 3mm offset will need to be milled into the back of their wheels to fit correctly on the performance Model 3.

img_5632-jpg.325954

View attachment 326608 View attachment 326609 Here’s a picture of the back of my 20” Tsportline wheel, will I have the same problem on my P3D+? Or is it a feature of the Tsportline 19”?

From the looks of it you probably will. if the center was bored out a little deeper and straight in instead of an angle...like the stock 20”s they would fit Without any additional hardware.

@P3_Denver what kind of adaptor are they sending you? Is it a spacer? Please post a pic when you get it. Still waiting to see the back of the stock 19’s....whether they would have the same issue as well.