Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

P85DL+ question about regen modes and long term battery health

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You know how they say all things equal it is worst for the battery to be supercharged vs home charged because (I think it’s that the SC heats up the battery a lot, which is bad for it)? So my question is, is using light regent vs. standard regen better for the pack because it doesn’t maybe heat the battery as hot?

Reactions: 98CamryXLE
Supercharging doesn't really damage the battery. The car will heat or cool the battery as needed for charging. Charging builds heat as the battery gets full, so charging current decreases as the SoC increases.

Regen is brief and low power (~50kw). Similar to supercharging, if the battery is full the car will reduce regen. This really only occurs above 97% SoC or so. No reason to use light regen in an attempt to preserve the battery.

The only real important thing is not to charge the car to 100% and leave it there for days. It is fine (and healthy) to charge to 100% for trips as this will also let the pack balance the modules. I think balancing starts at 93% SoC or so.

• Informative
Reactions: byeLT4 and bmah
Supercharging doesn't really damage the battery. The car will heat or cool the battery as needed for charging. Charging builds heat as the battery gets full, so charging current decreases as the SoC increases.

Regen is brief and low power (~50kw). Similar to supercharging, if the battery is full the car will reduce regen. This really only occurs above 97% SoC or so. No reason to use light regen in an attempt to preserve the battery.

The only real important thing is not to charge the car to 100% and leave it there for days. It is fine (and healthy) to charge to 100% for trips as this will also let the pack balance the modules. I think balancing starts at 93% SoC or so.
Wonderful explanation, thank you.