Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

PCS included with battery swap?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello everyone, first post here, but longtime forum user other places. I have searched pretty thoroughly, but was unable to find the answer to my question. I have a 2019 Model S with just over 100k miles on it. It is kept in a carport so I think that may have something to do with the issues I'm having because they didn't start until it started getting "cold". (I live in NC). It stopped charging at home, but would charge at the supercharger. OK I have a bad PCS module. The supercharger is very close to home so not really an inconvenience to charge there, but I set up an appointment none the less. Before my appointment arrived I was at the supercharger and when it got to about 80% it started throwing a bunch of codes. Got it towed to the house and did some more research. OK I have a bad 12v battery. I replaced the clearly original battery (manufactured 3 months before the car) per the instructions and NONE of the codes cleared. I could get it into tow mode, but never was able to put it into drive again. I did notice that the 12v battery I put in kept dying so I kept a tender charger on it to prevent damage. I had it towed to Tesla and got the call within a couple of hours that it needed a new HV battery. OK, I can live with that because it's still under warranty for a couple more years.

Here's my questions finally. What are the chances that this was all caused by a bad battery pack? Is there ANY chance that the PCS is "fixed" or comes with the battery pack? Could this also solve the 12v battery not charging issue?

That vintage Model S does not have a "PCS" in the same way the Model 3/Y does - where the various components are all co-located within the HV battery.

The onboard charger and DC-DC converter (the main components of the "PCS") are not within the HV battery on your Model S, and are not replaced as part of a battery replacement. The onboard charger is under the rear seats and I believe the DC-DC converter is up near the firewall in one of the wheel wells.