Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Paint damage from expansion in the heat?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anyone experienced this (see pictures) before?! Parked 2021 LR Model 3, and it looks like with the recent nice weather the plastic in the headlight/bumpers has expanded/contracted and pushed the paint away in a corner where the headlight touches? Definitely haven't bumped it anywhere and I can see (now I'm looking) that the headlight is a very tight fit with the bottom edge and that corner compared to the other side which has a nice little gap for expansion. Only 3k miles so will be reporting to SC and see what they say but I couldn't believe there would be that much expansion in UK weather!

Attachments

• IMG_20210602_101730.jpg
    IMG_20210602_101730.jpg
    625.9 KB · Views: 60
  • IMG_20210602_101554.jpg
    IMG_20210602_101554.jpg
    451.3 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_20210602_101430.jpg
    IMG_20210602_101430.jpg
    905.8 KB · Views: 54
Mine had this when I first collected it, almost the exact same location. I reported it just after collection and it was fixed.

I think this is a case of the paint not drying properly on the bumper from the factory.

I have found the paint adherence to be terrible all over the car.

When you say 2021, was it a made in America or made in China version? We know there were issues with paint in general with the refresh models coming from Fremont, maybe this is related and think @Irata is spot on with the explanation about the paint not being left to cure correctly from the factory.

Would raise it with Tesla and I'm sure it should be sorted for you....keep us informed.

When you say 2021, was it a made in America or made in China version? We know there were issues with paint in general with the refresh models coming from Fremont, maybe this is related and think @Irata is spot on with the explanation about the paint not being left to cure correctly from the factory.

Would raise it with Tesla and I'm sure it should be sorted for you....keep us informed.
Delivered Q4 2020 so the last of the Fremont cars. Have emailed Tesla, will wait and see what they say. The list of things to fix continues...

Mine had this when I first collected it, almost the exact same location. I reported it just after collection and it was fixed.

I think this is a case of the paint not drying properly on the bumper from the factory.

I have found the paint adherence to be terrible all over the car.
How did they fix yours? Realign headlight and respray whole bumper or just a smart repair?

How did they fix yours? Realign headlight and respray whole bumper or just a smart repair?

A smart repair. Nothing was realigned, the paint was peeling off as it has not adhered properly.

I did think at first the paint was being rubbed off, but the paint should not roll up like that regardless of fitment.

My car was built around the same time as yours. Same here, I've never ever owned a car with so many issues that never seems to end.

Last edited:
Reactions: tridge