Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Paint on rocker panel completely flaking off -- Is this normal?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was just walking back to my car when I noticed that along the rocker panel the paint has completely started flaking off. I can even lift it with my finger as seen in the screenshots. This wasn't like this last week or I would've noticed it immediately as I did today (looks like white scratches along the black paint). My car is 1 year and 3 months old with 52k miles, so I'm really surprised to see paint damage this severe already.

Super disappointed in Tesla's paint quality after this. Anyone know what would be the cheapest way to fix this kind of damage? Paint repair kit? Will Tesla cover it?

BFAA2BD3-0D55-4190-9875-B04DDF740A33.jpeg
6F414C56-1E59-4B5F-BD3A-BE0AA6275607.jpeg

Attachments

• E9241536-9244-4507-B6AA-7BD50B3E6120.jpeg
    E9241536-9244-4507-B6AA-7BD50B3E6120.jpeg
    531.5 KB · Views: 241
Do you have a side profile shot down the rocker with good lighting?

It almost appears to be stress cracks/flaking from an impact. Hard to tell in your photos but it kinda looks like the rocker is gradually pushed in and if so this is where the paint would crack.

Is it me or my phone? It appears to be more of a silvery finish underneath the flaking paint (aside from the bumper)

Not 100% certain about original stamped panels but all replacement panels come in a tan ecoat.
Think of clear-coat flaking like plastic food wrap being pulled up off the surface only it's a stiff material instead of flexible. As soon as it pulls up it reflects the light differently and looks bright underneath on camera. I suspect this is why some people think they see the bare metal or gray primer under.
I OP could just flake that piece off with a finger and take another pic to show what I mean; video would be even better.

Think of clear-coat flaking like plastic food wrap being pulled up off the surface only it's a stiff material instead of flexible. As soon as it pulls up it reflects the light differently and looks bright underneath on camera. I suspect this is why some people think they see the bare metal or gray primer under.
I OP could just flake that piece off with a finger and take another pic to show what I mean; video would be even better.

So the black base coat you refer to seeing is on the piece flaking off? Or are you saying you see it left on the rocker? I'm certain this is paint flaking off. My question is whether or not it's from an impact on the rocker.

I agree additional photos from the OP would be helpful

So the black base coat you refer to seeing is on the piece flaking off? Or are you saying you see it left on the rocker? I'm certain this is paint flaking off. My question is whether or not it's from an impact on the rocker.

I agree additional photos from the OP would be helpful
You know the more I look at the 2 closer photos it's hard too tell. I actually think there are sections where I'm seeing primer/bare metal, but on the picture of his finger lifting the flaking clear it looks like clear-coat delaminating from the base coat.
We need more pics and videos!

Update: Took it to Tesla and it turns out it was caused by a pothole that I hit on the other side of a speed bump. It caused that side of the car to hit right on the rocker panel causing it to bow inward a bit which then caused the metal to crease around the edge near the drivers door. The crease is where the paint split and then from there has started to come off. The silver part beneath the black plate is aluminum as I was told by the service tech (my main concern was that this would cause rusting, but he said it shouldn't).

Glad to have figured out what caused this to happen and that it is not a sign of there being paint issues. Potholes in New England really do have to ruin everything...

• Informative
Reactions: JasontheBeaver
Update: Took it to Tesla and it turns out it was caused by a pothole that I hit on the other side of a speed bump. It caused that side of the car to hit right on the rocker panel causing it to bow inward a bit which then caused the metal to crease around the edge near the drivers door. The crease is where the paint split and then from there has started to come off. The silver part beneath the black plate is aluminum as I was told by the service tech (my main concern was that this would cause rusting, but he said it shouldn't).

Glad to have figured out what caused this to happen and that it is not a sign of there being paint issues. Potholes in New England really do have to ruin everything...

This is poor information from your service writer or whoever told you that it shouldn't rust. Technically he's right it will not rust because aluminum doesn't rust, it corrodes. Aluminum corrodes quite quickly when exposed to the elements. The process litterally starts minutes after being exposed. You may not see a negative effect for some time but left unrepaired it will spread and cause further issues.

Thanks for the update!