Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Paint Protection, Ceramic, etc

What have you done to your M3?

• PPF

Votes: 68 47.9%
  • Ceramic

Votes: 76 53.5%
  • Tint

Votes: 68 47.9%
  • Other

Votes: 12 8.5%
  • None

Votes: 26 18.3%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It might have still been a good idea, many contaminants could have gotten on the paint on the drive from the factory to your location.

I doubt you would have to needed to polish, but a clay bar wouldn't have been a bad idea.

Agree, but it depends on a lot of variables. Mine was only a day away from Fremont and had no "rail dust" or other transportation grime, so it was quite easy. I had Honda's arrive with "rail dust" and hence I used a clay bar first. @TJ73 will have to decide upon inspection.

I totally missed your reply above saying you did it. Thanks for the product info. Did you claybar it, etc? I.e. how did you clean it up? My X is a year old (demo model) and i just got the front wrapped, and i wanted to get it coated asap, and am wondering what product(s) you used to prep the paint. I realize you just got the car recently, I believe, but maybe you felt the need to prep the surface more than just a wash. Thanks.
Did you have paint correction before wrapping?
As per the YouTube video, I suggest subscribing to Pan The Organizer
I decided on Turtle Wax Seal n Shine, which is a ‘step below’ ceramic coating, but extremely good & arguably the best ‘spray on’ ceramic coating currently. It is entirely the same preparation steps as for ceramic coating, but a less labor intensive final step
By contrast, my brand new car due shortly will have full hydrophobic wrap with ceramic coat on top (specifically made to apply to paint protection film, unlike almost all ceramic coatings)

I decided on Turtle Wax Seal n Shine, which is a ‘step below’ ceramic coating, but extremely good & arguably the best ‘spray on’ ceramic coating currently. It is entirely the same preparation steps as for ceramic coating, but a less labor intensive final step
By contrast, my brand new car due shortly will have full hydrophobic wrap with ceramic coat on top (specifically made to apply to paint protection film, unlike almost all ceramic coatings)

Not sure you can put PPF on top of paint already ceramic coated (e.g., TW Seal n Shine)...

I was told my car was build on 6/18 so about 2 weeks ago. I plan on applying PPF to the front bumper at least and then possibly a DIY ceramic coating unless I can get a good shop to agree to a reasonable amount for it.
How long do I need to wait to apply the PPF and ceramic? Some sites say 30-60 days, others say newer paint is ok within a week...
I have contacted a few shops but none are super close to me, anyone have recommendations for mid east coast Florida? Thanks
ASAP! PPF can and should be applied as soon as possible. My installer performed paint correction before install. Keep in mind ceramic coating will not stop paint chips, only prevent clear coat scratches.

I installed PTP at delivery before I drove the car off the lot. (painters-tape-protection) This way I have perfect new paint when the PPF went on - a few days after delivery.
View media item 120198View media item 120221

• Funny
Reactions: KenC and jebinc
ASAP! PPF can and should be applied as soon as possible. My installer performed paint correction before install. Keep in mind ceramic coating will not stop paint chips, only prevent clear coat scratches.

I installed PTP at delivery before I drove the car off the lot. (painters-tape-protection) This way I have perfect new paint when the PPF went on - a few days after delivery.
View media item 120198View media item 120221
Haha that's awesome.

If Service Centers were smart, they should pair up with installers and have them do it at time of delivery (after car is looked over.)

I got mine installed about 2 weeks after I took delivery, I tried not to drive much highway, and kept back from vehicles. Only thing I got was a chip behind my driver's side rear quarter, but rather there before PPF than the front end/hood.

I totally missed your reply above saying you did it. Thanks for the product info. Did you claybar it, etc? I.e. how did you clean it up? My X is a year old (demo model) and i just got the front wrapped, and i wanted to get it coated asap, and am wondering what product(s) you used to prep the paint. I realize you just got the car recently, I believe, but maybe you felt the need to prep the surface more than just a wash. Thanks.

@yerEVan - Since you had the car for a year, a clay bar prep is recommended, at a minimum. Sorry, I missed this post yesterday. For new delivery, I didn't have to do anything.

Haha that's awesome.

If Service Centers were smart, they should pair up with installers and have them do it at time of delivery (after car is looked over.)

I got mine installed about 2 weeks after I took delivery, I tried not to drive much highway, and kept back from vehicles. Only thing I got was a chip behind my driver's side rear quarter, but rather there before PPF than the front end/hood.
Some do, at least in my experience with Porsche and BMW. I had the rocker film go up the "hips" of the 1/4 panel for that exact chip prone issue!

Not sure you can put PPF on top of paint already ceramic coated (e.g., TW Seal n Shine)...

I am a big fan of Turtle Wax Seal and Shine spray sealant. However, it is not a ceramic sealant. It does not contain any SiO2. However, it is a very very very durable polymer sealant combined with a bit of carnauba wax. I think TW calls it a hybrid sealant for this reason. But even though it does not contain any ceramic ingredients, it is very protective and durable.

If you plan to install PPF on a car that previously had TW Seal and Shine applied on it, you would first want to remove the TW Seal and Shine (and any other sealants or waxes for that matter). You can use an IPA-solution such as CarPro Eraser, but TW Seal and Shine is so tough I am not sure Eraser would get rid of it. I would probably recommend using a DA polisher and a high quality polish to remove the sealant and to correct any small scratches and swirls, then follow that up with an IPA solution to remove any residue of the polish. Then you would install the PPF on the polished, clean, unprotected paint. Once the PPF is installed and completely dried, you can then apply a ceramic coating or other protective spray on top of the PPF.

BTW, it is not necessary to get rid of all the scratches and swirls before applying PPF because the adhesive used to stick the PPF to the car will fill in nearly all of the scratches and swirls. That is one reason why applying PPF makes the paint look swirl and scratch free.

I personally have a full-car Xpel PPF and I use either Opti Coat Hyper Seal or TW Seal and Shine on top of it to protect the PPF.

The person that applied the wrap cleaned the car well prior. Looks good. Now it’s up to me to ceramic it or get it ceramic coated.

I am a big fan of Turtle Wax Seal and Shine spray sealant. However, it is not a ceramic sealant. It does not contain any SiO2. However, it is a very very very durable polymer sealant combined with a bit of carnauba wax. I think TW calls it a hybrid sealant for this reason. But even though it does not contain any ceramic ingredients, it is very protective and durable.
Really? I could have sworn that they include SiO2.
If not, it’s amazing that they have been able to outdo Mothers & Meguiars who do include SiO2

Really? I could have sworn that they include SiO2.
If not, it’s amazing that they have been able to outdo Mothers & Meguiars who do include SiO2

Yep, I was skeptical at first. But the $7 bottle of Seal and Shine can often out perform SiO2 sealants that cost 6 times as much.

Here is a video from Apex Detail in which he compares Chemical Guys SiO2 spray sealant Hydrocharge to TW Seal and Shine. I am pretty sure Seal and Shine came out the winner. Hydrocharge is $40 a bottle, btw....

Reactions: TyH2009