Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Paint Protective Film on Leased Tesla?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just took delivery of a 2022 Model S Refreshed, and was thinking of having PPF (paint protective film) professionally applied to the front. However, this car is on a 3-year lease and Tesla leases don't have a buyout provision, so the car is definitely going back to Tesla after three years (whether I like it or not). My question is: Would Tesla have any problem with my having PPF professionally applied to a leased Model S?

Related question: Local 3M PPF installer is quoting $1800 for the installation, covering everything from the front bumper back to the base of the windshield and the mirrors. Is this a reasonable quote? (I'm located on the Central Coast of California, if that matters.)

No way in hell. It will be fine for 3 years. In my mind ppf is for people who are worried how it will look 5 years from now.

Edit: oops I actually read your real question. I don’t think they’ll care or even know you’ve done it. I’m just having a hard time understanding why you want to do it. But $1800 is a good price. Make sure they get good reviews from tesla owners. That price is too good to be true for California money.

Upvote 0
Just took delivery of a 2022 Model S Refreshed, and was thinking of having PPF (paint protective film) professionally applied to the front. However, this car is on a 3-year lease and Tesla leases don't have a buyout provision, so the car is definitely going back to Tesla after three years (whether I like it or not). My question is: Would Tesla have any problem with my having PPF professionally applied to a leased Model S?

Related question: Local 3M PPF installer is quoting $1800 for the installation, covering everything from the front bumper back to the base of the windshield and the mirrors. Is this a reasonable quote? (I'm located on the Central Coast of California, if that matters.)
Yes, they will care but only if you don’t remove it before lease return. In fact, the Tesla lease return process will also charge for window tint removal ($350).

• Informative
Reactions: TSLA Pilot
Upvote 0
SoCal Buzz, that's interesting. What's involved in removing PPF once it has been applied? Is it something that the installer must do (more $$$?) or is it easy DIY?
I don't know personally, but assume it's much easier than window tint (like just peel it off I would think). I did the Tesla lease return inspection 2 days before swapping my 2018 with new 2021. They guy was apologetic even, saying I'm sorry but will have to charge you for the tint removal (it was in perfect condition too).

I escalated with Tesla Finance via email, noting I was picking up another Tesla and didn't have time to remove the tint. They never responded, but the $350 charge was dropped.

Upvote 0

TESLA most likely will not ask you to remove the clear bra as long as the application looks good on the car. If the installation is poorly done, or you get a ton of scuffs on the film at that point you can have the clear bra on those panels removed before returning the lease. As in price goes, $1800 is a bit low for a full front of any car but not completely unreasonable. If you are in the LA area come give our shop a look or call one of our team members for additional information. 818 905 5678

Upvote 0