Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Panel gap / misalignment - caused by hitch install?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I purchased a 2019 Model 3 in January and I'm pretty certain I carefully inspected the vehicle for misaligned panels and gaps and didn't notice any. A few months ago I got a hitch installed where they had to remove the rear bumper and re-install it. Unfortunately I didn't carefully inspect the bumper for panel gaps after the hitch install. I'm now noticing a strange gap on the right rear side of the bumper and in only that one spot (see attached photos). It doesn't look like the bumper was misaligned when installed, as everything seems to line up properly except for that one gap. For anyone who has removed the bumper, could there be an extra clip that came loose that's causing this gap? Could this have happened during the hitch install? There are no indications of the bumper being hit at all. Thanks!

20230711_224556.jpg
20230711_224609.jpg

It looks like one of two things has occurred. Either they didn't push the bumper back into the retaining clips all the way or they broke the holes where those clips attach.

It looks like their is enough gap present to maybe see behind that lip of the bumper to see if the bumper itself is broken. If it's not, firmly pressing that area back into the fender area should reattach the secure clips to the bumper.

Pointing out the hole I'm talking about that the clips attach to. Possible it's broken or the clip itself "if" its not just a case of them not putting it back in all the way. I had to blow up the picture so it's not super clear but if you open it full size you should see what I'm talking about.

Attachments

• bumper.jpg
    bumper.jpg
    339.1 KB · Views: 61