Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Panoramic roof front applique removal?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a 2014 MS with a leak in the front left panoramic roof. I removed some of the headliner and pinpointed the leak to the area under the front applique, which is the part just above the windshield. If I can get the applique off I will be able to caulk the leaking area. Problem is, I can't figure out how to get it off. I seem to have a V2 roof, with the roof rack cutouts away from the edge of the side appliques. The service manual advises to remove the side appliques also, which I would like to avoid. Any advice would be appreciated. I'm sure Tesla would wind up replacing the roof, instead of just caulking the leak.

What makes you so sure that the leaking is underneath the front appliqué? The sunroof has four drain holes at each corner (photo attached) and the front ones are clearly seen when the roof is open. Here is one discussion about similar situation, the rear draining holes can be reach if removing the side appliqué. It depends what version of roof you have how easy it would be.

D4268C6F-965B-4FCB-ABBD-6B17CC324FD8.jpeg

I was able to pinpoint the location of the leak. By lowering the headliner a bit I can see the exact spot of the leak. If you go directly upward from the #14 in the diagram you can see where the frame bolts to the roof. I believe it's that joint leaking. Anyway, I was able to use a liquid, squirted in with a large syringe without removing the applique, sealing the leak. It is a permanent fix, so I really dodged the bullet here. That said, it hasn't rained yet and I didn't water test the roof yet, as I'm giving it several days for the solution to cure. Since I added so much it may take some time to dry out. Here's what I used: https://www.amazon.com/Captain-Toll...003T6EJ9A/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8