Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Roof applique removal

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a 2014 MS with a panoramic roof. The problem is that I have a leak over the driver's seat. I pulled down enough headliner to see that the drain tube (which wasn't clogged) had come off the drain fitting. I re-installed it and although the roof leak is better, it's still there. I can buy the applique seal online and replace the set, in hopes that will fix the problem, but I can't figure out how to get the applique off. I seem to have the newer V2.1 applique, with the roof rack rectangles not on the edge of the applique. I've read that this type are held on by tabs, not glue. I tried to pry the rear up and it's tightly installed. I'm wondering if my late 2014 started using the newer applique, but was glued on. Any ideas?

I have a 2014 MS with a panoramic roof. The problem is that I have a leak over the driver's seat. I pulled down enough headliner to see that the drain tube (which wasn't clogged) had come off the drain fitting. I re-installed it and although the roof leak is better, it's still there. I can buy the applique seal online and replace the set, in hopes that will fix the problem, but I can't figure out how to get the applique off. I seem to have the newer V2.1 applique, with the roof rack rectangles not on the edge of the applique. I've read that this type are held on by tabs, not glue. I tried to pry the rear up and it's tightly installed. I'm wondering if my late 2014 started using the newer applique, but was glued on. Any ideas?
the leak may be coming from the center, normally there is a peice of electrical tape there. Open the roof, you will see it. Did you pour water to make sure the drain tube is clear?

the leak may be coming from the center, normally there is a peice of electrical tape there. Open the roof, you will see it. Did you pour water to make sure the drain tube is clear?
Yes, the drain tube is clear. I see the electrical tape on both sides, and it sure doesn't look like it could keep water out. Do you suggest removing the tape and using caulk to seal it?

Attachments

• Tesla roof electrical tape.jpg
    Tesla roof electrical tape.jpg
    281.5 KB · Views: 106
Yes, flex seal would do too. I wound up using black 3M 5200. Probably as good as anything else. Amazing stuff and used in marine settings, above and below the waterline. Anyway, does anyone have any idea what those straps are used for? I pressed too hard on the one on the passenger side and wound up breaking it. The roof is operating as it should, so I guess it wasn't an electrical connection, except for maybe a ground cable.

Great photos. I see you clamped the drain hose. Mine was press fit and when I opened the headliner partially I saw it was disconnected. I glued it back on, but couldn't get me hand in there to add a clamp. Not enough room without completely taking down the headliner. Any idea what the copper tube is for?

Reactions: Gixx1300R
That panel removal has no influence with roof water ingress, it’s cosmetic cover plate. Underneath you can find rear drain hose inlet that might also need cleaning.
Thanks for that info, that is what I suspected. So water can get past the seal and just drain out through either drain. I was thinking water in the rear roof area would just flow down into the channel under the rear hatch cover, and flow onto the rear bumper area. I wasn't sure there was a drain back there. My only leak is front right, so does that mean my rear drains are ok?