Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Parking Brake Needs Service

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

K-MTG

Sunshade Captain of TMC
Oct 24, 2015
Irvine, CA
So it begins....

IMG_1283.JPG

Though...it went away after I shifted to drive so I am pretty sure it is just a software bug. If it comes back again...I will contact my SC.

Exact same thing happened to me 2 days ago Thursday morning. Hasn't happened since. Plan to report it when I take it in for service. Was a little worried about parking on hills after that, careful to turn the wheels to roll into the curb. Feeling better that it's just a software glitch not a real parking brake hardware issue now that I see I'm not alone.

I have the same problem. Saw the "Parking brake Needs Service" message and decided to remind myself to call Tesla on my way back to schedule an appointment. However, I must have gone barely a mile and saw several other warnings and the car stopped right in the middle of the road. Messages such as "Cruise Control Failed", etc started popping up. A suggestion to power cycle also flashed. Since I was in the middle of the road on the leftmost lane, I had my emergency flasher on. I followed instructions and turned the car off. The flasher sound (I believe its simulated relay sound) stopped - however I am not sure if the lights actually stopped flashing at that time. When the car restarted, the error remained. Another message flashed - something like "Exiting and re-entering the car may resolve the problem". I carefully exited in the middle of the road with cars zipping by and re-entered the car. It did not work. I called Tesla roadside service and they quickly got a tech support engr on the line. He asked me to power cycle it again. The car seemed to like that and decided to move when I switched to Drive. I went around to a nearby friends place and parked there. The original parking brake message popped again. I was sure I did not want to drive it another 15 miles to my home and called tech support again. This time they wanted to send a towing truck to get the car to a service center. The truck took 2 hours to arrive (it appears that Tesla is very selective about towing companies and we dont have a lot of them in the Sacramento area.). I drove with the tow truck driver and he told me that Tesla's are keeping them busy and they get a ton of towing jobs from them - especially Model 3!!! Keeping fingers crossed.

I get this "parking brake needs service" message
every 3rd or 4th trip? after brake message I get
"cruise control disabled" message.

after parking and exiting vehicle, the messages
are gone for several trips?

when you say "power cycle" do you mean shut
down vehicle, then re power vehicle or are you
referring to restarting the touch screen with the
two rotating wheel on steering wheel?

also, what did service center say was problem?
what did the fix entail?