Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Pass rear rattle located and fixed. 3 mins work.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Mrcarcrazy

In need of a shrinking gun to zap a plaid with.
May 22, 2019
South Padre Island, Tx
Just wanted to share, if you get an intermittent rattle from the rear passengers side. This is worth ruling out as I could see it being very common.

How to rule it in or out:
- sit in rear passengers side seat. Tap the c pillar cover near your head. Do you hear a buzz? If so, this thread is for you.

How to fix this rattle:
Pull the c pillar cover. (There are 2 clips. One near the front ~2 inches in. And one near the rear. They are fairly beefy so low risk of breaking. Once you pop it off you’ll note a rubber leash that’s intended to keep the c pillar from ending up in your lap of the side curtain airbags are deployed. On this rubber leash has a plastic bit on it. This plastic is resting on the trim piece when assembled and causing your rattle. So cover the plastic with a small strip of adhesive backed felt.

Optional: I added more of this thin adhesive backed felt to the flat portion of the trim panel that the rubber leash is attached to (it rests on the body of the car and is cut to accommodate a plastic push pin). I also put a small wrap of it around the front locator pin for the front clip. (For good measure).

Reassemble.

you’re done, have a beer and enjoy one less rattle in your car.

I didn’t take pics. It’s honestly unnecessary IMO. once you pop that panel off (I used my bare bear hands) you will go “ha, he wasn’t lying.”

edit: grammar and a bit more info.