Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Passenger airbag kid safe?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Passenger Airbag On/Off Switches Bellevue WA

Hi My Name is Shaun I am an auto Airbag/Electrical Diag technician I install airbag switches/Airbags In all cars I have Installed A Passenger Airbag on/off Switch in A Tesla Roadster it is an aftermarket AOI Switch the best switch available. I Didnt have to pull the Dash to do it I did how ever use a Lotus Squib Connector to extend the factory wiring to do my soldering to the switch harness it was a very tight first few connections but once I was able to extend the circuit out to free up working space the rest was easy for me at least. I do believe I made a custom braket out of aluminium to mount the switch to & Placed it down on the center console center kick Visable to passenger and driver I didnt want to Drill into anything the two tricks to installing is making the passenger airbag harness longer using another passenger airbag connector and keeping the key off through out the whole wiring procedure so you dont trip the airbag light. Only Install switch using shrink wrapped and sodered Connections. Anything eles is a common failure waiting to happen. Saftey is also a concern when poor wiring is used on explosives. Solderless butt connectors are not a good Idea they can corrode or vibrate loose, especially if not crimpped properly they are Just not as tight as a soder bond to the copper. After the switch is installed make sure the switch is only switched from on to off with key off and make sure you fully turn the switch key from on to off dont leave switch in midstream half switched it may set the SRS light off in your dash with an open Passenger airbag circuit code. that goses for all aftermarket switches and installs enjoy those Tesla Roadsters they are a well built sports car and way different than A lotus. I remember seeing tesla Roasters being test driven in Bellevue wa at the old Kmart parking lot in lakehills back in 06 or 07 amazing cars.

Last edited:
My Roadster has an airbag switch, it may be the one Shaun did, because it was done in Bellevue.
Here is the important detail out of an email I sent to another owner about airbag switches:

The first thing you have to do is get the form from the NHTSA applying for a switch. You fill it out and mail it/fax it to them and then they will mail it back to you. http://www.safercar.gov/staticfiles/DOT/safercar/pdf/ON-OFF_Switch_Request.pdf

Then you take the completed form to an airbag service place and they will put in the switch.
I went to Airbag Service Intl LLC Welcome to Airbag Service. Airbag Repair, Airbag Light, Wire Harness Repair, Airbag Diagnostics, Hybrid Services, Dashboards and Steering Columns - Airbag Service Automotive Franchise in Bellevue. I gave the owner a ride and told him all about Tesla and when I picked the car up he told me he put a deposit down on a model S.

I have the Recaro Young Sport child seat, I got it at Speedware Motorsports in Redmond. It has a plastic bar on the bottom that comes off easily and then the seat fits just fine, the other car seats we had did not fit the Roadster.