Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Passenger seat airbag shuts off with seat cover

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
All.

2020 MY performance. Recently I purchased a fuzzy seat cover for my wife as she wears jeans and I have white interior. I recently notice that the air bag indicator was off during a drive. I reset the car etc - with no change. I decided to remove the seat cover - low and behold - the air bag indicator was active for passenger when she sat down.

I was of the impression the air bag indicator was based on weight.

Anyone have any information regarding this? Do you use a seat cover and notice what the airbag indicator says?

thanks!

It is trigger by weight. From the owner's manual some things to check and one of those include covers.

To make sure the sensing system can correctly detect occupancy status, eliminate the following:
  • Objects lodged under the seat.
  • Heavy objects sitting on the seat (briefcase, large purse).
  • Objects wedged between the seat back and seat cushion.
  • Cargo interfering with the seat.
  • Aftermarket items attached to, or sitting on or between, the seat and occupant including but not limited to covers, mats, blankets, etc.
These conditions can interfere with the occupancy sensor. If you have eliminated the above possibilities, and the airbag status is still incorrect, ask passengers to ride in the rear seats and contact Tesla to have the airbag system checked.

Coincidentally, someone posted this picture on Facebook.

829D07E1-A3AC-46A3-B5BD-CE8CF3C15030.jpeg