Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Passenger window not working on new 2024 Tesla Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi!

I recently traded in my 2018 Tesla Model 3 for a 2024 Tesla Model 3, which after 45 days of a one week delivery window starting on the current day, was finally delivered last week. Today, after driving to a local coffee shop, the passenger window refused to move after opening the car door, and it’s stuck in the fully up position. Because this renders the door uncloseable, and thus, undriveable, I called roadside, but their tips didn’t resolve anything (reset the computer; hold down the switch for _n_ seconds; hold up the switch for _n_ seconds).

Have you experienced anything like this? Any tips? I’ve tried and failed to reach someone in Tesla service; will try calling the dealership when it opens at 10 am.

Thanks,

Ben

With respect, this is a Tesla problem (I know you know). Putting in a service request from the app will generate a meeting option for either in person or mobile tech.

Also have you tried calibrating that window? You hold the button in the up position for a second till you hear the click. That might solve it, but I would still launch a service request.

(1) Sorry for not explicitly mentioned it; I have requested the soonest possible service appointment via the app, which was set for... a week from now. I can’t imagine leaving the car in my driveway with an open door for a week, hence my calling the dealership when they open.

(2) I mentioned in the OP that I held the button in various states to attempt to execute the recalibration protocol they have in the manual, and that is mentioned in various fora.

(3) “With respect, this is a Tesla problem” — for sure, just posting here to see if others have found a solution that I can apply myself, vs. navigate Tesla bureaucracy to try to get urgent help. I mean, that’s what a lot of posters come here to do, right? (And, to provide a signal to help owners understand how frequently others encounter the same problem.) Maybe I’ve misunderstood the point of posting here.

Reactions: adayley
Update.

After leaving the car in my driveway for a couple of hours, I checked on it again, and the passenger window was still inert. I also tried the “vent” feature of the app, but the window didn’t budge. The reason I can’t close the door is that the window makes contact with the trim at a specific point near the front of the car. But, looking more closely, the contact surface area is small, and it appears that there isn’t contact along the rest of the trim. I’m loathe to damage the trim and force the door closed, but I don’t want to keep the car sitting open like this for the rest of the day.

I push the door with enough force to push the window past the trim, and I succeed with minor cosmetic damage, and the door closes. Immediately, I see the window move down and then up a little bit. I try the “vent” feature again, but the passenger window doesn’t move. I go to the driver side of the car and use the passenger window control and... the window moves! I move it up and down a few times, and then I try “vent” again, and—it works fine!

Huh. I’ll keep my car service appointment for now, but... things seem to be back to normal. Now that I know I can force the door closed, I won’t worry so much about this happening again, and if the minor damage to the trim gets worse, I think I can just paint (or Sharpie) over it. So... not the *end* of the world.

Reactions: adayley
Glad you got it working. Sometimes it just needs a kick in the ***. I wanted to point out that it is possible that by opening a service ticket that often will have a human being in the mother ship take a look at your car remotely. It is possible this was done and they reset something.

I had an issue with mine. I had no power steering, no cruise control, none of the nannies etc. It was drivable but the steering and brakes were very heavy. Not safe. Drove home carefully. I tried the various reset procedures but nothing. I opened a service ticket and the following it was automagically working again! Have not had any such problems since.

Reactions: Technokrat
Glad you got it working. Sometimes it just needs a kick in the ***. I wanted to point out that it is possible that by opening a service ticket that often will have a human being in the mother ship take a look at your car remotely. It is possible this was done and they reset something.

I had an issue with mine. I had no power steering, no cruise control, none of the nannies etc. It was drivable but the steering and brakes were very heavy. Not safe. Drove home carefully. I tried the various reset procedures but nothing. I opened a service ticket and the following it was automagically working again! Have not had any such problems since.
Oh interesting! Thanks for the tip!