Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Payment methods in Florida

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi
Received my VIN and I have a delivery date of Nov 18 - Nov 24. I am waiting on their offer for a trade in and will then decide because if it’s close what I save on sales tax may be worth a few extra bucks I may get from Car Max or Carvana or one of those
if I accept their offer or not I will be paying cash. I see conflicting stories that say a personal check is accepted and some people say it’s not?
I also see people saying don’t make full payment until I see the car and inspect it so if I’m using a personal check that’s easy if not what are my options?
any help appreciated

I think this kind of depends on the service center, state. I would ask them if they take a personal check, but its also not that hard to get a certified check from your bank (which is another option, and likely doesnt require any sort of "asking if its ok".

Whether you can wait to pay until you inspect the car depends on what state you are in, and whether they allow tesla sales. I am fairly certain Florida allows tesla sales like most (but not all) states, so I would hold my ground and tell them I will sign over the check after I inspect the car. They wont let you drive it, but they will let you inspect it.

Haven't pickup yet as my delivery is also 18 November but I did better on selling my car (LandRover) to CarMax. They offered approx. $6K more than the Tesla trade in offered - which more than covered the Florida sales tax. Used car prices are crazy now.

I've decided to just pay in advance and trust Tesla to manage the repair/replacement of any out-of-spec items. Can't image anything - short of something catastrophic - that would force me to reject the car. I live 1-2 hours away from delivery and the possibility of finding serious glitches that force me to come home empty handed after all these months seems remote.

I've decided to just pay in advance and trust Tesla to manage the repair/replacement of any out-of-spec items. Can't image anything - short of something catastrophic - that would force me to reject the car. I live 1-2 hours away from delivery and the possibility of finding serious glitches that force me to come home empty handed after all these months seems remote.
The cars have been pretty solid except for those early Model Y roofs that were flying off. ;)

Thanks all I have a scheduled delivery date of Nov 24-28 and no one has contacted me to set up delivery is that normal? I see people who get a VIN and immediately have a delivery date set up. I have had my VIN for a week now
They didn't call me until the car showed up. It may get there on the 24th but then they need to prep the car and schedule your slot. When I took delivery a couple years ago you waited in the lobby a few minutes before your time slot. They had garage in a strip mall that could hold about 6 cars at a time. You checked over your car, signed a piece of paper and drove off. Took about 15-20 minutes.

My pickup is this Thursday. I selected this date online from a list of possible date/times after being notified electronically. I haven't spoken to a live human being since I ordered my car. I must be old (well, I am) because I find this slightly weird. Hoping this is normal and all goes to plan on my pickup date.

My pickup is this Thursday. I selected this date online from a list of possible date/times after being notified electronically. I haven't spoken to a live human being since I ordered my car. I must be old (well, I am) because I find this slightly weird. Hoping this is normal and all goes to plan on my pickup date.
You right, it is weird, but the whole Tesla buying experience is very different. It is designed to be automated as much as possible to simplify the buying process so you show up, check the car out, ask any questions and drive home. It is much better than sitting in a traditional dealership all day haggling but takes a little getting used to. For example, you never have to go see the "finance person" since no one is going to try and sell you an extended warranty, wheel and tire protection or a maintenance plan. ;) Wait until you need service, you make the request through the mobile app and they come to you. It is surprising how many issues they can take care of in your driveway.

I selected dealer pick up since it's only 15 minutes away but then they changed it to home delivery for some reason. I get the car the 17th but I was required to do a ACH payment online. Hoping no major issues with the car when it gets dropped off. Also did a trade in because the sales tax for me was almost a wash. SA said they will drop of my my 3 and take my rogue back to the dealership.