Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Help needed! Private + new business vehicle causing big issues

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all, hope someone is able to help me out here.
I'm based in Victoria and currently have a 2021 Model 3, bought new in 2021, for private use.
I'll continue to drive this as a private vehicle, and will sell it once I receive my new Tesla.

I'd decided to purchase the new 2024 Model 3, but on my business since EVs can also be driven for personal use without tax implications.
So I took these steps:
  1. Go to the Tesla website
  2. Select Victoria and Business
  3. Configured my vehicle
  4. Entered my business details and business payment details
  5. Paid and completed order
On the check-out page it told me that a new payment method would not change any existing payment method in my account.
Unfortunately I now have the following issues:
  1. My personal payment details got deleted, luckily I found out otherwise I would have had accounting issues
  2. I'm being told by Tesla that you can't have a private + business vehicle in the one account
  3. There is no way for Tesla to move my vehicle to another account unless they completely reset my personal account, resulting in (quote from Tesla's email):
    1. Lose any existing referral points
    2. Lose premium connectivity subscription and have to re-subscribe for the month again
    3. Lose driver profiles/saved driver settings through the Tesla touchscreen (you may have to set up your preferred settings again including the phone key set up, easy entry etc.)
    4. If you have purchased FSD/Enhanced autopilot, that would remain with the vehicle and you WILL NOT lose that (pending it was purchased and not offered as parts of referral program). Which means, once the model 3 2021 is added back to your account, the same FSD/Enhanced Autopilot features will be available again.
  4. Tesla does not refund me the $400 payment, even though I feel they should have communicated this better and I offered to place a new order
I do have Enhanced Autopilot (received from Tesla, so not purchased).
I've tried giving Tesla calls quite a few times, and no department seems to want to help me.
There is no way to escalate this to a manager, so I'm really lost on what to do next.

Resetting my account seems to be the only option offered by Tesla, with the risk of losing $5000 worth of Enhanced Autopilot and Premium Connectivity (resubscribing will cause me having to pay extra for the overlapping period).

Any ideas how to escalate this?

Hi all, hope someone is able to help me out here.
I'm based in Victoria and currently have a 2021 Model 3, bought new in 2021, for private use.
I'll continue to drive this as a private vehicle, and will sell it once I receive my new Tesla.

I'd decided to purchase the new 2024 Model 3, but on my business since EVs can also be driven for personal use without tax implications.
So I took these steps:
  1. Go to the Tesla website
  2. Select Victoria and Business
  3. Configured my vehicle
  4. Entered my business details and business payment details
  5. Paid and completed order
On the check-out page it told me that a new payment method would not change any existing payment method in my account.
Unfortunately I now have the following issues:
  1. My personal payment details got deleted, luckily I found out otherwise I would have had accounting issues
  2. I'm being told by Tesla that you can't have a private + business vehicle in the one account
  3. There is no way for Tesla to move my vehicle to another account unless they completely reset my personal account, resulting in (quote from Tesla's email):
    1. Lose any existing referral points
    2. Lose premium connectivity subscription and have to re-subscribe for the month again
    3. Lose driver profiles/saved driver settings through the Tesla touchscreen (you may have to set up your preferred settings again including the phone key set up, easy entry etc.)
    4. If you have purchased FSD/Enhanced autopilot, that would remain with the vehicle and you WILL NOT lose that (pending it was purchased and not offered as parts of referral program). Which means, once the model 3 2021 is added back to your account, the same FSD/Enhanced Autopilot features will be available again.
  4. Tesla does not refund me the $400 payment, even though I feel they should have communicated this better and I offered to place a new order
I do have Enhanced Autopilot (received from Tesla, so not purchased).
I've tried giving Tesla calls quite a few times, and no department seems to want to help me.
There is no way to escalate this to a manager, so I'm really lost on what to do next.

Resetting my account seems to be the only option offered by Tesla, with the risk of losing $5000 worth of Enhanced Autopilot and Premium Connectivity (resubscribing will cause me having to pay extra for the overlapping period).

Any ideas how to escalate this?

If you have not taken the delivery of the 2024 business car, the easiest option is to leave your private account intact and alone to the prior condition, before the addition of the business car. Delete whatever that is not private such as the new 2024 business car.

Create a new Tesla account for your new 2024 business car.

It would be nice if Tesla would transfer the $400 order fee to this account. If not, consider it as cost of business.

If you have not taken the delivery of the 2024 business car, the easiest option is to leave your private account intact and alone to the prior condition, before the addition of the business car. Delete whatever that is not private such as the new 2024 business car.

Create a new Tesla account for your new 2024 business car.

It would be nice if Tesla would transfer the $400 order fee to this account. If not, consider it as cost of business.
Thanks for your response, but just giving Tesla $400 for something that clearly they don't communicate when ordering a car is not acceptable.
I run a small business, and the last thing I'd want to do is give companies like Tesla free money.

A thought: Refer your business purchase from your private car status and get the $375 referral rebate on the business car and 10,000points for your private car which gives a good chunk of free supercharging.

Try for the $400 but otherwise forget it as you have 10,000pts and $375