Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Performance Trim or Not?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have opted for the full on up P+ but that's mostly because it's a present to myself. If the LR D was still up I would have bought that with the 18" wheels and removed the covers as was my original plan which I admit is way, way more sensible.

The performance upgrade gives your car a more sportier look with wheels and spoiler. Plus better brakes to slow you down after launch. Depends on how much money you want to spend/have...

The Performance package has got its pros and cons. But for spirited driving on our local uk roads I have no doubt whatsoever that the standard setup will be the better compromise. The smaller brakes will only be an issue if you are thrashing it so hard that you start to get brake fade, which is only ever likely to be an issue on a track. For road use, tyre grip and ABS calibration will determine stopping distances and if 20" wheels on lowered suspension are hopping and skipping over bumps under hard braking that will cause far more issues in real life than any potential brake fade. Maybe the upgraded brakes will have better feel/modulation, but that is something only a decent test drive of both could determine.

Reasons to buy a P+
Serious track day use
A more sporty look
Possibly better brake feel? (unknown)

Reasons to buy a P-
Improved ride quality
Less road noise
Longer range
Cheaper tyres (and save £3700 up front)
More ground clearance
Less kerb/pothole damage

Take your pick! I personally like the look of both options, but I wasn't really looking forward to riding around on 20" rims in my everyday ride. Especially not in an EV where tyre road noise can spoil the serenity. I was also quite pleased to see that the standard 18" wheels are being delivered with Michelin PS4 tyres in the UK, rather than the more pedestrian Michelin Primacy they seem to get in the US. The 20" wheels come with Michelin PS4S which is a slightly more track focused variant and a little more edgy for road use.

Reasons to buy a P+
Serious track day use
A more sporty look
Possibly better brake feel? (unknown)

Reasons to buy a P-
Improved ride quality
Less road noise
Longer range
Cheaper tyres (and save £3700 up front)
More ground clearance
Less kerb/pothole damage

This pricing makes anyone who was considering a P our the LR but was concerned about price to spend that little extra ie 1k or 5k (PUP), smart marketing by them when introducing new models.

Another plus point for the P- is that when LR comes back the prices for a P will go up also, so say in 6 months time if you want a P you will be looking at the full works package so add on about £7k, so right now a bargain!