Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Performance suspension and ride quality impressions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

David99

Supporting Member
Jan 31, 2014
Nomad (mostly US)
When I ordered my Model Y I was very hesitant to go for the performance version. I was worried about the suspension being too harsh. I am in general not a fan of sports car suspensions making you feel every tiny little bump on the road. 12 months ago I had a rental Model Y (non performance) that had a uncomfortable and hard suspension.

After doing some research I decided to order the performance version with the plan to swap out the wheels with 19 or 18 inch rims and tired with higher side walls. I just picked my car up and I was so positively surprised how well the stock suspension is. It is actually very comfortable and and not harsh at all while still feeling sporty. Tesla did an amazing job on it.

I just wanted to share this to help those who might have similar concerns. Go with the performance version! You won't regret it.

Reactions: amoney805
yea in late 2022 tesla tweaked suspension on all model y trim and called it “comfort suspension”. Model y performance still has short springs. You can get more comfort & wheel rash protection by changing the tire sizes on 21” (whole thread on that) & get more comfort, mire protection from pothole blowouts, more range & less road rumble by using 18” or 19” wheels. I got 18” martians on order now for a big road trip I’ll do in my MYP.

Reactions: David99