Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Performance upgrade ride quality if tires swapped

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi All,

What’s the thoughts on the performance upgrade ride quality from the lowered suspension if i decide to change out the wheels later on to a 19 or so....

My concern is am i stuck with a harsher ride from the lowered sport suspension or if wheels changed would it be very similar to the normal suspension

If the suspension really does not affect the ride harshness that lets me have it now with the cool looking wheels and then the option to spend 2-3k later on and change out tire/wheels if i decide i want to go to the more standard ride

I’m used to performance high end luxury cars.. so still concerned

Hi All,

What’s the thoughts on the performance upgrade ride quality from the lowered suspension if i decide to change out the wheels later on to a 19 or so....

My concern is am i stuck with a harsher ride from the lowered sport suspension or if wheels changed would it be very similar to the normal suspension

If the suspension really does not affect the ride harshness that lets me have it now with the cool looking wheels and then the option to spend 2-3k later on and change out tire/wheels if i decide i want to go to the more standard ride

Hi All,

I changed the 21" Uberturbines to 20" Sportwheels - very minor (less harsh on bumps) improvement that I can tell.

My concern is am i stuck with a harsher ride from the lowered sport suspension or if wheels changed would it be very similar to the normal suspension.

So 20"s with same diameter tires vs 21" Uberturbines have less harsh ride...likely due to more tire wall than the lowered suspension.

If the suspension really does not affect the ride harshness that lets me have it now with the cool looking wheels and then the option to spend 2-3k later on and change out tire/wheels if i decide i want to go to the more standard ride.

I don't clearly understand the above....but yes, I think the suspension on the Performance Y does not affect the harshness/softness of the ride as much as the increase in tire sidewall by using smaller diameter wheel does.

If so, you know the Y does not have adaptive suspension, or "track mode"/optional driving mode - so don't expect much there from the Y.

Reactions: jwuwu
We just got our Y after having an S for the last two years. We got the standard tires just because we were hoping to get a softer rider out of it. I'm afraid it probably didn't much help. The ride is significantly bumpier with much more road noise -- reminds me of our old Civic. My 2-yr-old has never before asked for the music to be turned up. We are kind of wishing we had gotten the X, but we do enjoy the improved pick up as well as the smaller overall design. I hope this helps.

We just got our Y after having an S for the last two years. We got the standard tires just because we were hoping to get a softer rider out of it. I'm afraid it probably didn't much help. The ride is significantly bumpier with much more road noise -- reminds me of our old Civic. My 2-yr-old has never before asked for the music to be turned up. We are kind of wishing we had gotten the X, but we do enjoy the improved pick up as well as the smaller overall design. I hope this helps.
Same here. i didn't think the air suspension matters. First thing my mom said the other day after I picked her up was the car feels a lot more bumpy than the Model S.

Id say it's on the stiffer side of cars I have owned in the past. Reminds me of my old Subaru STI in terms of stiffness, maybe a tad softer.. but I did opt for the PUP so it's to be expected. I think in the future when I swap out wheels and go to a 19 or 20 inch wheel with all season tires it will be perfect for my slightly older liking now.. but still stiff enough for some fun in the twisty sections. I did not want a squishy ride that's for sure.

I just test drove the Y PUP and a 3 PUP.

Overall impressed with the ride... roads are smooth here but in the 30 minutes it felt decent...

I think the PUP will be fine and maybe when the tires go change to 20’s as looks like the cost is not that bad aftermarket and opens options...

I test drove a 3 pup and y pup ...the 3 definitely handles a little better on ramps but i must say the space difference (feel) inside is dramatically different..the Y feels so much more roomy....