Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

PG&E and Tesla Charging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Quick question regarding charging to those who have PG&E: How cost effective is it to switch from a normal tiered plan on PG&E to one of their "EV" plans? I live in a rented home with three roommates, so I do not want to completely change our energy plan if I don't need to (I will be trickle charging using 120v, as I can mainly charge at work).

When I got the Model 3 in 2018, I switched to EV-A and saved about $50/mo *over* my pre-EV days. However, I had to switch my pool pump to night & avoid drying laundry during peak periods. Now that I'm on solar, I'm actually going to sell about 2 Mwh back at wholesale.

I think the newest EV rate is better for non-solar, but worse than EV-A for solar customers.

Last edited:
Reactions: silentrider21
You should be able to use the Rate Comparison tool in your PG&E online account. That will tell you how much you will pay for your historical usage. Then you have to add your EV charging usage. If you charge mostly at work, the impact will be less. Also, charging on 120V, it will be hard to get enough charge during Off-Peak EV rate plan hours. You really don't want to plug in and start charging as soon as you get home when you are on the EV plan because that's the most expensive time.