Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Phone charging cables

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So we know the 3 does not come with phone charging cables.
Can anyone recommend some for Android type C.
My phone will do wireless but the wifes will not.
And a link will be much appreaciated if you have it.
Delivery in 9 days.
Thanks.

The cables are available on the Tesla Shop Webpage.

But are you sure that no cable will be included with the car?
I had my Model 3 LR AWD delivered with an USB type C and a Lightning one in a plastic bag.

To position the cable you will need to remove the bottom part of the tray.
To do so you need to slide toward left,

Note: If you order it, how fast they will be delivered is not predictable.
So in the meantime use a regular cable and put the phone inside the console.

Note: I ordered some 90 degree cable from Amazon but the plug was too big and didn't fit.
Finaly I ordered a Jeda wireless charger, allowing me to put the phone in landscape mode while charging.

Tesla doesn't include the phone cables any more and if people go the cable connector route need to order from Tesla's site. Some service/delivery centers might have some on hand so worth asking ahead of time there. Recall reading one person here posted they went to one of those pre-delivery meetings recently and was able to pick up accessories there including phone cables. I know other people here have tried ordering off third party sites and also said they have problems with the cables not fitting properly.

Charging by cable will be faster than wireless.

Looks like the cables are in-stock but hard to say about delivery time. If you are going to go the cable route and are waiting for your car I would order as soon as possible so you are ready to charge when you car arrives. Model 3 Phone Charging Cable

• Love
Reactions: sa012
I didn't want to order from Tesla because they do not sell the type C separately. Seems to only come as a bundle with the lightning cable.
And that bundle is only $14. I know you can buy quality cables for much less elsewhere (I use Monoprice myself), but if you're willing to purchase cables from Tesla, why would the inclusion of another cable stop you?

And that bundle is only $14. I know you can buy quality cables for much less elsewhere (I use Monoprice myself), but if you're willing to purchase cables from Tesla, why would the inclusion of another cable stop you?

Believe there's a thread somewhere on the forum for people looking to swap cables. When I bought my car they were giving both iPhone and Android cables as a set. We asked around at delivery to see if anyone wanted to swap an iPhone cable for an android and got lucky so was set up that day.

You’re better off just getting a regular cable. The Tesla setup with just the connector sticking out of the tray won’t work if your phone is in a case (or if it does it will require a lot of annoying adjustment each time to get it to finally fit right).

You’re better off just getting a regular cable. The Tesla setup with just the connector sticking out of the tray won’t work if your phone is in a case (or if it does it will require a lot of annoying adjustment each time to get it to finally fit right).

Yeah, my new case on my iPhone makes the Tesla connector too short. Will any right angle lightning connector do to fit into the case? Does it have to be a certain length?

Yeah that's my plan.

Wait, what other charging ports do people use?

Depends on what year model 3 you are talking about, and what USB ports it has, where.

The right angle ports were for when there was no wireless charging pad at all available (not even aftermarket ones were available at first). it was so you could actually plug the phone in with the cable running to the port in the console. The console was not made the same as in your car, and the USB ports were under where the wireless pad currently is.

I dont see any reason for you to have right angle cables now since you wont be running it to an adapter to enable wired charging while sitting on the charging pad.

• Informative
Reactions: Hiline
Depends on what year model 3 you are talking about, and what USB ports it has, where.

The right angle ports were for when there was no wireless charging pad at all available (not even aftermarket ones were available at first). it was so you could actually plug the phone in with the cable running to the port in the console. The console was not made the same as in your car, and the USB ports were under where the wireless pad currently is.

I dont see any reason for you to have right angle cables now since you wont be running it to an adapter to enable wired charging while sitting on the charging pad.

Aaahhh that makes sense. I have a 2022 Model 3 with the new charging setup. Thank you I was so confused. I'm just gonna get a regular USB-C to Lightening charging cable then.