Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Picking up a M3 in Virginia from PA

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi everyone,

I ordered an M3 from Virginia, which was in inventory, but I live in PA. Will tesla be able to give me temp Virginia plates etc, if I go there to pick up? How does this work? I am trying to get them on a phone but it's taking forever and wanted to see if you guys had any experience. Thank you!!

It said this when I went to order but I thought they would just be able to give me temp tags but I'm not sure.
tesla screenshot.png

Hi everyone,

I ordered an M3 from Virginia, which was in inventory, but I live in PA. Will tesla be able to give me temp Virginia plates etc, if I go there to pick up? How does this work? I am trying to get them on a phone but it's taking forever and wanted to see if you guys had any experience. Thank you!!

It said this when I went to order but I thought they would just be able to give me temp tags but I'm not sure.
View attachment 888308

If it were me, I would believe the blurb they put there, and only expect tesla to be able to register the car in those states. What you are basically saying is "I saw this alert when I went to order, but I thought it didnt apply or was wrong".

Upvote 0
If it were me, I would believe the blurb they put there, and only expect tesla to be able to register the car in those states. What you are basically saying is "I saw this alert when I went to order, but I thought it didnt apply or was wrong".
No, it is so weird because every state around PA doesn't register in PA, according to the tesla website, but I have bought cars outside of the state before.

Upvote 0
No, it is so weird because every state around PA doesn't register in PA, according to the tesla website, but I have bought cars outside of the state before.
Have you bought "Teslas" from outside the state before? Just because Some car dealers do X doesnt mean another company has to (or wants to).

According to what you see on the website, Tesla says "This vehicle can only be registered XXXX" so, believing something different than what it says there on the screen seems to me to be a recipe for being frustrated.

In any case, I dont know though, so I will just wish you good luck in in working out the way you want it to.

Upvote 0
I think Tesla is trying to convey that you personally have to register the vehicle in PA… they won’t do it for you except in the states listed. I would use the email chain for the delivery that you have previously received to ask the question… they answer back pretty quick.

Upvote 0
I think Tesla is trying to convey that you personally have to register the vehicle in PA… they won’t do it for you except in the states listed. I would use the email chain for the delivery that you have previously received to ask the question… they answer back pretty quick.
So apparently tesla cant sell to PA residents outside of PA. They’re moving the car for me to PA so hopefully everything works out before the 31st but anyone else in this situation you can try and ask them to move the car around for you. Thanks all for your help.

Reactions: Leeclanual
Upvote 0
So apparently tesla cant sell to PA residents outside of PA. They’re moving the car for me to PA so hopefully everything works out before the 31st but anyone else in this situation you can try and ask them to move the car around for you. Thanks all for your help.
I am a PA resident and bought my first Tesla (used 2014 S) in Maryland. They had a PA tag and registration ready to go. But that was back in 2017 when Tesla would still go the extra mile.

When I bought my second Tesla (used 2015 S) in Maryland in 2019, it was a total (fecal display) and I didn't have permanent PA tags for six months. They did re-issue additional MD temporary tags as necessary, free of charge.

When I bought my third Tesla (new 2022 M3P) I bit the bullet and picked it up in Devon PA despite it being 3x the distance from home compared to the MD location. They had the PA tag ready to go.

I don't know if the differences between my 2017 and 2019 experiences were due to policy changes, lack of staff, lack of training in inter-state transactions, bad attitude, etc.

Reactions: randmness
Upvote 0