Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Pirelli P Zero Tires Good / Bad?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
i have 48k miles on my Tesla Model 3 (2019). Still have the factory tires on board. I am looking to change and have been doing some research on replacement tires.

@wingnutsglory how are you doing with your P Zeros?

I am looking at the P Zero AS Plus Elect but the reviews seem mixed so far. Anyone have any thoughts on this one? They seem a little newer than the ones mentioned previously in this thread. Also, does 245 over stock 235 protect against wheel rim damage? Thanks.

i have 48k miles on my Tesla Model 3 (2019). Still have the factory tires on board. I am looking to change and have been doing some research on replacement tires.

@wingnutsglory how are you doing with your P Zeros?

I am looking at the P Zero AS Plus Elect but the reviews seem mixed so far. Anyone have any thoughts on this one? They seem a little newer than the ones mentioned previously in this thread. Also, does 245 over stock 235 protect against wheel rim damage? Thanks.

I personally like them.

@RickW We got the Pirelli P Zero AS Plus Elect for our Model S recently, in 245/45R19, and on that car my wife and I are both liking them a lot so far. Nice balance of quiet and efficient and smooth and reasonably grippy. It's an old Model S though, not a sporty Model 3, we don't normally push the Model S to its limits. It's difficult to say if I'd like the AS Plus Elect on the Model 3 or if I'd find them a little too smooth for that car.

If you are coming from the Michelin Primacy MXM4 base tires though, I can say the AS Plus Elect are much much better. We tried a set of MXM4's on the Model S a bit ago (at my wife's behest, she was sick of how quickly the summer tires I was buying would wear out 😆) and there was nothing redeeming about the MXM4 besides efficiency. They were bad in the dry, and borderline scary on dark twisty roads in the rain. Friends don't let friends drive on MXM4.

As for 245 vs 235 on the Model 3...I'm completely on the 245 train. Our M3P has been on 245/45R18 almost since it was new. But, realistically, I don't think 245 vs 235 is going to make much difference in any rim damage scenario. 245 gives 10mm more width, a smidge more sidewall, and a smidge larger overall diameter. Those are all good things for the Model 3 in my book, so I prefer 245, but the % differences are very small.

Reactions: vickh
Also, does 245 over stock 235 protect against wheel rim damage? Thanks.

Hopefully someone with Pirelli Elect 235s can show a picture of that lip on stock rims. I know my Goodyears have plenty of material in that area to protect rims and they are stock 235s.

If nothing changes between now and when I need new tires, I think the Pirelli is what I will try. <--- Maybe not. Just saw this link in at TireRack and it mimics what I have said about the GY (at least for me and the 18s). I will give up efficiency for better wet performance. Just spent yesterday and today, a 5-6 hours driving on wet roads. Its an important metric for me. But to clarify, there were times when I thought the tires were loud and during the drive I was thinking, maybe next go around I need quieter tires... sigh.

Last edited: