Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Planning a trip but not actually in the car

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is there a way to plan a trip in the Tesla without using the car? The only way I can see to do it is have the car set up the route, pick the supercharges and then use a pencil (Horrors) to write down the information, take it back into the house and make hotel reservations and other plans. It sure would be nice if I could do this all on my computer and then take it to the car.
Am I missing something?

Reactions: APotatoGod
ABRP is good, I prefer evtripplanner which has much more detail about SOC, power usage, etc. and allows easier manipulation of the router, stops, alternatives IMHO. I used it recently on an 800 mile trip, and adjusted for wind (which was significant), travel speed, weight carried TOD and temperature and the predictions were within about 2% which was pretty capable i find.

Yep, entering your Tesla credentials in ABRP will let it get your current SOC live for a better planning. It will also calculate a proper average consumption for your car instead of using the fleet average. I think it's better during the trip too, but I don't typically use ABRP while I drive.
Separately, the premium service uses live weather, traffic, charger availability during planning.

Am I the only one who wonders what ABRP's business model is? How they will use, store, sell my very personal data? Why would I share that much personal info about me, my car, my travels with the government or with an entity that may sell or surrender that info to unknown third parties? Does the right to privacy play no more role in a Tesla owner's life?

Am I the only one who wonders what ABRP's business model is? How they will use, store, sell my very personal data? Why would I share that much personal info about me, my car, my travels with the government or with an entity that may sell or surrender that info to unknown third parties? Does the right to privacy play no more role in a Tesla owner's life?
I don't think anyone makes you use ABRP or any other 3rd party tool ever.
If you are not happy with their terms of use, don't use it.
Terms of use: defined here: Terms of Use – Iternio

They offer a premium plan for like $50 a year. I subscribed and find it worth it (before Covid) as I take regular long road trips. It adds additional functionality I find useful. The free version is fine though for occasional use.