Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Plates? - Selling 3rd party and picking new at Mt Kisko

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello to all forum members!

I’m looking to sell my current Model 3 to Carmax (or Vroom - awaiting offer) and picking up end of the week at Mt Kisko MY LR
Based in Wilton CT. What do I do about the number plates (want to keep the current plates that I have and use it on new car) ?

One Tesla rep I spoke with said Mt Kisko will still provide temp paper plates (and DMV send same old plate number but new plates?) .. then what’s the use of keeping old plates?
And should I take out the plates on Model 3 before 3rd party takes it away on their truck?

What is the proper procedure ? Esp for CT new Tesla buyers.
Thanks!
I’ll appreciate any relevant info

Take the old plates off your old car before they take it away.

Then with the new MY LR, you don't let Tesla title/register the car -- you just take the paperwork yourself to the DMV to transfer your existing plates to the new car.

If you let Tesla title/register your car, you'll get new (different) plates, then you'll still have to transfer the old plates to the new car, with extra fees.

Mt Kisco will still give you a paper temp tag so you can drive the car home. But if I were you, I'd try to not let them register the car and do it all myself -- that way I know it's being done right. You can ask Mt. Kisco if they can transfer your old plates to your new car, but I'm not sure they'll do that since it goes outside of their normal routine of just submitting a new car registration. But it's worth asking and making sure they do a plate transfer and not apply for new plates.

Reactions: AJ.. and kayak1
Take the old plates off your old car before they take it away.

Then with the new MY LR, you don't let Tesla title/register the car -- you just take the paperwork yourself to the DMV to transfer your existing plates to the new car.

If you let Tesla title/register your car, you'll get new (different) plates, then you'll still have to transfer the old plates to the new car, with extra fees.

Mt Kisco will still give you a paper temp tag so you can drive the car home. But if I were you, I'd try to not let them register the car and do it all myself -- that way I know it's being done right. You can ask Mt. Kisco if they can transfer your old plates to your new car, but I'm not sure they'll do that since it goes outside of their normal routine of just submitting a new car registration. But it's worth asking and making sure they do a plate transfer and not apply for new plates.
Great info. But Tesla’s app (as of Dec 2023) has a clear step when setting up new car for the buyer to fill. It asks for DL, and “if transferring plates” and requests old car registration document pic. When I was at Mt Kisko in person the person I spoke with seem very clear about using plates from old car.
Besides the change in number plates (if transfer of plate and registration isn’t done properly) I guess you also lose the remaining time on registration with the old car that you have already paid for to the DMV. Transfer of plates and registration helps use that remaining period as well.