Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Oregon plate transfer

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anyone in Oregon transferred plates from an old ICE vehicle to a new Tesla? The DMV website says you may do this for “the same type of vehicle,” using the example of RV-to-RV. But I don’t know whether an electric car, which has higher registration fees than an ICE car, is the same type of vehicle for this purpose. My current registration is good for almost three more years, so I’d rather not lose it.

Tesla says it can do this with my trade in, but I got a much higher quote for Carmax, so I plan to sell private party.

Carmax will let you keep your plates - just sold my car there since they offered more than Tesla for a trade in. Should be able to bring your plates in (make sure your SA knows).
Thank you! I’m going to give it a try. Did you talk to Tesla about it? They told me they’d need to charge me the normal registration fees, but they’d refund them later once the plate transfer takes effect, which seems ... odd.

Yes! I transferred personalized plates and Tesla was all confused about it but I just kept my plates from my ICE and eventually I got my registration card in the mail that everything was good and the plates were transferred.
May I ask how long it took? And did Tesla give you any paperwork showing they registered for the transfer? I got my car almost a month ago and I still don’t have new plates or a confirmation the transfer went through. Thank you!

May I ask how long it took? And did Tesla give you any paperwork showing they registered for the transfer? I got my car almost a month ago and I still don’t have new plates or a confirmation the transfer went through. Thank you!
Oh it took I think 6-8 weeks. Covid seems to make everything take longer. I even think my temp was expired. Tesla wasn’t any help when I called. I just waited it out and thought we’ll worse case DMV would send me new plates.

Reactions: JindoFuzz
I am planning on selling my ICE and moving to a Tesla. I want to keep my Oregon cycling plate and transfer to the new car. So is this the correct process:
Advertise car since very old (20 year CRV) - state taking plates off
person comes and says wants car...
- Bill of Sale
- Title
- Registration form

take plates off and log into website??? to transfer plate.
take plates to Tesla in Portland when buying new car?

I am not finding good information on the process of selling a car and transferring the plate. Not one of my friends have kept their plates.
Help!!!