Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Please Help Identify This Model S Part

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Andyw2100

Oct 22, 2014
Ithaca, NY
I just found this in the garage, near where our Model S P85D parks. My wife has the car at work now, so I can't inspect the car to see if I notice anything obvious missing. Anyone know what this is? Thanks in advance for any assistance. Tesla Model S Part - 2.jpgTesla Model S Part - 1.jpgTesla Model S Part - 3.jpg

Attachments

• Tesla Model S Part - 2.jpg
    Tesla Model S Part - 2.jpg
    360.8 KB · Views: 96
  • Tesla Model S Part - 3.jpg
    Tesla Model S Part - 3.jpg
    556.8 KB · Views: 52
  • Tesla Model S Part - 1.jpg
    Tesla Model S Part - 1.jpg
    334 KB · Views: 52
Thanks very much to both of you.

We don't really use the front trunk, and my wife did open the rear trunk last night, so that definitely makes sense. I had thought it was probably an internal part, based on the fact that it is quite clean, except for the rusty part. When she gets home I will check it out, and see if I can replace it, or what parts I may need to order.

Again, many thanks!

Edit: And I have no idea how that would have fallen out without my wife noticing it / hearing it hit the ground, etc. I'll have to ask her about that!

Last edited:
Reactions: BrownOuttaSpec
So it was, in fact, the rear trunk bump stop. I found pictures online, and while it would be easy to buy the part on eBay, the problem is that the bump stop has a female screw thread, but my screw broke off at the base, inside the car, and the screw is rusted into the actual bump stop. I'm including a picture of the inside, where I expect the screw should be.

I have attempted to glue the base of the screw back to where it broke off from, but I have no idea if it will hold or not.

Any suggestions on a better fix? I would need to somehow obtain the male screw part, but I have no idea how I'd get that mounted inside the car.

I'm really hoping the glue holds!Tesla Model S Trunk Bump Stop Inside.jpg

If you can get it to the right height, you could just epoxy or contact cement it into place. It only needs adjusting to make sure the trunk closes to a certain spot for alignment.
You might check a junkyard.
Thanks! I did glue it last night, using Gorilla Glue. The trunk closed fine, and should be helping hold the bump stop in place, while the glue bonds. When my wife gets home tonight I will check it out and see if it has held in place.

Thank you!

Reactions: Nosken