Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Pod point

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My Model 3 turned up earlier than expected and I don't have a home charger fitted yet. I popped into Sainsburys to use a pod point charger but can't use the cable supplied by Tesla. Do I have to buy a complete new cable - or can I buy the bit short bit that has the 3 pin plug on and just change that. Looked around internet but looks like I will need to spend about 140 quid on a full cable.

I’m in the US, but the way it works here is you just buy the short piece with the three point connection. I’m surprised they didn’t provide you one. Here we get a 120v adapter with the car which i assume is the rough equivalent of the 3 point plug in the U.K. I assume you still get a mobile connector in the U.K., right? Otherwise forget what I just said.

I’m in the US, but the way it works here is you just buy the short piece with the three point connection. I’m surprised they didn’t provide you one. Here we get a 120v adapter with the car which i assume is the rough equivalent of the 3 point plug in the U.K. I assume you still get a mobile connector in the U.K., right? Otherwise forget what I just said.

I didn't even think about that - the "three pin plug" is probably the same thing as Brits call their "domestic wall socket". So all he needs to do is to plug in his mobile connector which came with his car.

Of course, he seems to have a house, so he might as well just plug in there.

My Model 3 turned up earlier than expected and I don't have a home charger fitted yet. I popped into Sainsburys to use a pod point charger but can't use the cable supplied by Tesla. Do I have to buy a complete new cable - or can I buy the bit short bit that has the 3 pin plug on and just change that. Looked around internet but looks like I will need to spend about 140 quid on a full cable.
Steve,

You will hopefully have read by now but your Model 3 (in the UK and Europe) is capable of using the CCS connector and a Type 2 connector.

For that Pod Point charger you should have used the Type 2 cable that Tesla supplied. If you did not get one then you should log a service call in the Tesla app.

The socket in your car has 2 capabilities:
  • CCS - this uses the entire socket area with a plug into the car that occupies all PINs. CCS is a DC (faster) charge and you'll find now that all Tesla Superchargers now have this across the UK. (we have a different connector to the US versions - and earlier Tesla models). You'll find a growing range of CCS (DC) chargers and not all are the same charging speed. Note - all CCS chargers are tethered so all have a cable with a plug attached to the charger).
  • Type 2 - This is what you'll use at home when you have a home charger (7Kw or 32 amp). These can be tethered too but many, like the Pod Point, require that you use your own cable (the one that Tesla supplied and is typically stored in the Frunk).
I hope that this helps. If you haven't already joined then have a look on Facebook for the "Tesla Model 3 UK Owners" forum (here).

Regards

Tony