Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Pondering what charger for Plaid and Y LR

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

easyev

Supporting Member
Jul 29, 2023
Toronto
Hey everyone,

I’ve got a GEN one charger that I installed on 100 amp circuit in 2015 for a P85DL. It worked great and did up to 88 A which was 88 km/h I was super happy with that! But all good things come to an end and the plaid seems to be limited to 48A but it charges at a slightly faster rate than that old MS did, at least at the same given amperage.

So my wife got a model Y and I can’t stand to have it sitting in the driveway running on its own juice. When we all know it should be running on household current, To avoid extra wear and tear on the battery

could split my 100A feed to garage to 60 for S and 40 for Y. Or, get 2 Gen 3 chargers that do some sort of load balancing?

Right now hers is plugged in using my mobile connecter and charging at 6 km/h, which is actually more than enough for her given how little she drives the car. But something says it with more power!!!

IMG_8486.jpeg
IMG_8487.jpeg
That’s a good recommendation thank you.

Do you guys know if this is a Gen 3 or Gen 2 wall connector?

IMG_8485.jpeg

Yes, I know (about the lower charging current) but what can you do? Progress marches on, and the car has a slightly faster charging rate than my old one, about 20% faster. My 2015 was 48km/hour at 48A, the new one is 60km/hour.

Thank you for the pics, I now realize I have a Gen 2 currently and at least I know the one I found secondhand is Gen 3, with a bonus mobile connecter and the 1450 adaptor I was going to purchase for $60. I do have a 1450 socket below my sub panel beside my garage charger, could always use the 1450 adaptor to charge her car more quickly if needed.

Right now that socket is on a 50 amp breaker which I know isn’t technically correct it should be a 60 for 48A or the 50A will supply 40A.
That’s why I figured it would be nice having the two gen 3 chargers for load balancing and Wi-Fi control. Lots of fun!