Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Possible support for cut top steering wheel theory / interesting gesture controls in Model 3?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thread title: "Further Confirmation of cut top steering wheel / interesting gesture controls in Model 3"

I would not describe that Panasonic video as providing "Further confirmation" that the Model 3 will have that steering wheel style or that it will have gesture controls. At this point there is no confirmation from Tesla at all as to what the production Model 3 driver interface will consist of except for the fact that the horizontal center display will be standard. That was stated by the Tesla test ride drivers at the Model 3 reveal. Nothing else has been "confirmed" beyond Elon's suggestive tweet saying the prototype Model 3 steering wheel is not the production steering wheel design and that the controls would be like a "spaceship", whatever that means.

Instead I would describe that video as "New Panasonic advanced driver interface video suggests future direction for Tesla".

This thread title is misleading in my opinion.
:Retreats into corner with tail between legs:

Thread title: "Further Confirmation of cut top steering wheel / interesting gesture controls in Model 3"

I would not describe that Panasonic video as providing "Further confirmation" that the Model 3 will have that steering wheel style or that it will have gesture controls. At this point there is no confirmation from Tesla at all as to what the production Model 3 driver interface will consist of except for the fact that the horizontal center display will be standard. That was stated by the Tesla test ride drivers at the Model 3 reveal. Nothing else has been "confirmed" beyond Elon's suggestive tweet saying the prototype Model 3 steering wheel is not the production steering wheel design and that the controls would be like a "spaceship", whatever that means.

Instead I would describe that video as "New Panasonic advanced driver interface video suggests future direction for Tesla".

This thread title is misleading in my opinion.
What will you give me if I end up being a prophet? :)

Where is proof of the title of this thread.

Sounds like a click bait title.
So just out of curiosity, what do I have to gain from coming up with click bait titles? On YouTube I could gain from more views, or if I posted a link to my website or blog... But I truly could care less how many "clicks" I get on these forums. Just a year and a half ago this used to be a place you could come for casual conversation on all things Tesla... It seems that is changing...

Mod... please delete thread...
maxresdefault.jpg

I can't see how a steering wheel with no top section would be very widely accepted. I don't see it being very practical. It might look cool but that'll only last until you try to actually make a turn with it.
Yeah, some of us old-timers were taught and still practice hand-over-hand steering when making turns, so a completely round steering wheel is a must. ;)

I know, with full autonomy, a steering wheel becomes irrelevant, but we're not there yet! :)

Only way a U shape wheel makes sense is if the steering ratio was something crazy and a 90 degree turn could be done with with just a cross arm movement. I think the mass market driver this car is going to be targeted to is not going to want that. I'd take a flat bottom maybe, but U.... No thanks! Just project the HUD higher please.