Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Power Braking Assist Reduced

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've had a few interesting issues with my 2021 LR AWD Model 3 just a week into ownership that I want to run past the community (let me know if this isn't the best place to post this and I'm happy to move it).

I received the car on December 3rd and was thrilled to start taking family members on joy rides. That evening I was taking my parents, who own a Model S, on a drive and almost immediately lost control of the brake function of the car. I had to swerve out of the way of a car stopped at a stop sign and almost got hit by an oncoming car. All three of us were shaken up and I was very confused as to why a brand new car would have this issue. I noticed a couple of alerts that came up on the screen, "Vehicle Hold feature unavailable" and "Power braking assist reduced". There was another "Regenerative braking temporarily reduced" but it wasn't as persistent. So I immediately called my SA about this and he suggested that I set an appointment with the Service Center for as soon as possible. Later that same evening, after leaving the car, the alerts were gone and I had full control of the brakes again. I had my fingers crossed that it was just a random bug that came through the build process.

I dropped the car off at the SC on Friday for over the weekend and received a Model 3 loaner. On Monday they contacted me that it was just a software bug and that a reset of the car solved it. In my opinion, they were very dismissive about the issue and almost made it seem like my own sensitivity was to blame for not having 100% control of the brakes and that the car was completely fine to drive. This surprised me since I was in a total safety issue!

So since Monday it has driven with no problems, no alerts. Until today when the exact same issue happened at my local grocery. It snowed last night and not having the brakes work was terrifying to me. So I contacted Roadside Assistance this time and the guy helping me was very kind and patient. He was surprised at the issue and expressed that he's never seen nor heard of it before. His suggestion, again, was to take it to the Service Center, which I can't do until Tuesday given their schedule.

How would the community react to this issue? Is this something that I just have to live with and spend a few hours every so often taking the car back and forth to the SC? Am I mistaken to expect that the car should have no safety problems a week into ownership? Has anyone experienced a similar issue? Any help would be much appreciated!!