Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Regen braking reduced

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

nyxxie

Dec 7, 2023
MD
Hello everyone, new here. We had our Tesla for about seven months and never any issues, but started having issues with regen. brake. I've MYP, SOC 70% daily, temp ~40F outdoor and 55F in garage. I understand I need to precondition my battery. Ever since the temp. dropped, my regen. brake has been reduced.

I turn on the climate to 72F 45 mins before I leave, regen brake issues still existed. Today I drove 25mins locally to a store, left the climate ON, and was in the store for ~30mins. Left to go to second store, 15mins. away, climate ON when I was in store for ~10mins. Then drove 40 mins. back home all local. The entire time the regen brake was reduced. Clearly the battery should have sufficent time to warm up. I checked the service menu and no error, tried to set an appointment with SC. SC stated I would have to pay to diagnose since the car is not indicating any errors. I've gotten used to regen braking that I've to use the brakes because regen brake is not stopping in time.

BTW, we also have a three months old M3P and so far this car has not given us any regen brake issues. Two weeks ago it got down to the 20s and the car was parked outside for 3 hours. The car was totally fine 3 hrs later, didn't precondition the car before driving, and didn't have regen brake reduced issues.

Any idea what is going on? or am I doing something wrong that the battery is not warm enough? Thank you!

Hello everyone, new here. We had our Tesla for about seven months and never any issues, but started having issues with regen. brake. I've MYP, SOC 70% daily, temp ~40F outdoor and 55F in garage. I understand I need to precondition my battery. Ever since the temp. dropped, my regen. brake has been reduced.

I turn on the climate to 72F 45 mins before I leave, regen brake issues still existed. Today I drove 25mins locally to a store, left the climate ON, and was in the store for ~30mins. Left to go to second store, 15mins. away, climate ON when I was in store for ~10mins. Then drove 40 mins. back home all local. The entire time the regen brake was reduced. Clearly the battery should have sufficent time to warm up. I checked the service menu and no error, tried to set an appointment with SC. SC stated I would have to pay to diagnose since the car is not indicating any errors. I've gotten used to regen braking that I've to use the brakes because regen brake is not stopping in time.

BTW, we also have a three months old M3P and so far this car has not given us any regen brake issues. Two weeks ago it got down to the 20s and the car was parked outside for 3 hours. The car was totally fine 3 hrs later, didn't precondition the car before driving, and didn't have regen brake reduced issues.

Any idea what is going on? or am I doing something wrong that the battery is not warm enough? Thank you!
There's a setting in the car that allows the car to use friction brakes on your behalf so that you won't notice if regen is limited. That's what I use. There are many reasons why regen could be limited, some of them are due to cold.

• Helpful
Reactions: Kupe and Rocky_H
Upvote 0
That's how it is, and it's just physics. Lithium ion batteries can't be recharged at really high power when they are cold, and when they are well below freezing, not recharged at all or it really damages them, so the car does have battery warming systems. So every winter, regen gets reduced on my car.

That freaked a lot of people out who didn't know about it and thought something was wrong with their cars (like this thread) so they did add the feature in newer cars where it will also behind the scenes use the real brakes if it has to, to imitate that regen feel. That's the setting @Cosmacelf was talking about.

Upvote 0
I'm a big fan of single pedal driving but I'm having a counter intuitive experience with a 2021 model3 LR's raw regen (no automatic brake assist). I generally approach my house from the same direction at the same speed &, if I lift my foot off the accelerator at my neighbours mailbox, the car slows enough that I can swing into my driveway comfortably. This works from fully charged down to about 50%, below 50% I often have to touch the brakes to keep the turn mundane as opposed to interesting. My conclusion is that below half charge regen stopping power variability is increased. Curious if others have had a similar experience of less consistent regen with a battery below half full?

Upvote 0