Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Power Company crediting electric production monthly

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not sure how i feel about this because I can't really wrap my head around whether this is a good thing financially or not...

I turned my solar system on during the second week of June, and promptly called PSE&G to change my annual production reconciliation date to March. Although I knew that my town had entered into an electric aggregation agreement with a third party supplier (which specifically excluded homes with solar systems), what I didn't know was that the start date was June 1st and because I didn't have a system online on that date I was signed up through the aggregation contract. Because of this, PSE&G is taking any excess electricity I produce and crediting it through the third party supplier into my monthly bill. It is crediting this as a supply at the slightly lower rate than PSE&G's rate (it isn't a large difference). The interesting thing is that the credit applies to the total bill, not just the electric side, and as I have gas heat, the excess is actually paying off my monthly gas bill as well as my electric fees in their entirety right now (meaning I have a balance due of a credit!). So my questions are:

1) Has this happened to anyone and how long before the third party supplier catches on and kicks me off the aggregation (this is the first month I have a large credit ($70) on my bill overall)
2) Is this better than building up a surplus of electric production? It seems like it kind of is as I anticipate producing slightly more than my electric usage for the year.
3) Is there any reason I should be contacting anyone (the supplier, PSE&G) about this?