Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Power Lift Trunk with Foot Sensor - Installation Tips

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

BoringMod

Former Vendor
Sep 3, 2019
So Cal
Getting the PowerTrunk Kit and Foot Sensor installed Tomorrow on my P3. :)

Hopefully my wife will stop complaining about the trunk.lol

Any tips from people who did the install?

Let me know if you guys want me to document the install which will be done bu johnny at Calibred.

Attachments

• 752B0BDC-FFBB-4EFD-9165-16371826C89C.jpeg
    752B0BDC-FFBB-4EFD-9165-16371826C89C.jpeg
    258.7 KB · Views: 113
If you are installing the front button, think about where you want it placed. Mine is on the left side, just a little under the dash (it’s out of my view unless I lean to look for it). This is in an unobtrusive place, but the down side is that I really have to lean forward to reach the button.

Fortunately, it’d be rare that I would need to use it since the person putting and taking things from the trunk would normally close the trunk from outside, when they’re done.

However if I were to do it over, I’d probably put the button closer to where I can reach it. I saw one person put it on the bottom of the seat area. It looks easy to reach and you won’t see it while driving (the button glows slightly red). The only problem I could see would be accidentally bumping the button might be more risky in that area.

Also, I have mine powered from the spot under the driver’s side dash. I have never had a problem with it there, but I have heard that wiring it from the passenger side may be more reliable.

Finally, when you mount the control box, I’d make sure it’s not too hard to reach. On the rare occasion you need to update the firmware, you’ll need to insert a micro SD card in it, and it’s possible to drop the card if you’re not careful.

All said, I’m very pleased with my power liftgate. It looks like it came with the car and has been quite handy.

Thanks for the tips! I was thinking of putting the control box on the side which can be accessed once the rear seats fold down.

Front Button - I read on TMC there should be a way to program the system to trick it so when we push the screen again it would close it. Hopefully that gets added soon. I wonder if the car is moving, would the trunk open if I accidentally hit the button?

If you are installing the front button, think about where you want it placed. Mine is on the left side, just a little under the dash (it’s out of my view unless I lean to look for it). This is in an unobtrusive place, but the down side is that I really have to lean forward to reach the button.

Fortunately, it’d be rare that I would need to use it since the person putting and taking things from the trunk would normally close the trunk from outside, when they’re done.

However if I were to do it over, I’d probably put the button closer to where I can reach it. I saw one person put it on the bottom of the seat area. It looks easy to reach and you won’t see it while driving (the button glows slightly red). The only problem I could see would be accidentally bumping the button might be more risky in that area.

Also, I have mine powered from the spot under the driver’s side dash. I have never had a problem with it there, but I have heard that wiring it from the passenger side may be more reliable.

Finally, when you mount the control box, I’d make sure it’s not too hard to reach. On the rare occasion you need to update the firmware, you’ll need to insert a micro SD card in it, and it’s possible to drop the card if you’re not careful.

All said, I’m very pleased with my power liftgate. It looks like it came with the car and has been quite handy.