Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Powering CPAP in MY

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Isn’t the voltage of an alternator around 16v?
In an ICE vehicle the output of the alternator can vary; 14.4V is typical. The Tesla Model Y uses a completely different system. There is no alternator in the Tesla Model Y. There is a power conversion system (PCS) that includes a DC-to-DC Converter that steps down the voltage from the high voltage battery to provide low voltage power.

The Tesla Model Y now uses a 15.5V lithium battery module (replaces the older 12V lead-acid battery) to power essential systems and to boot up the computer when the Tesla Model Y is in sleep mode. The charging voltage for the lithium battery module is 16V DC, accessories plugged into the Tesla Model Y accessory power outlet need to be compatible with 16V DC power. Some accessories, i.e. some 120V power inverters do not operate when presented with higher than 15V DC input. (Tesla now refers to the Model Y having a low voltage system, not a 12V system.)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
In an ICE vehicle the output of the alternator can vary; 14.4V is typical. The Tesla Model Y uses a completely different system. There is no alternator in the Tesla Model Y. There is a power conversion system (PCS) that includes a DC-to-DC Converter that steps down the voltage from the high voltage battery to provide low voltage power.

The Tesla Model Y now uses a 15.5V lithium battery module (replaces the older 12V lead-acid battery) to power essential systems and to boot up the computer when the Tesla Model Y is in sleep mode. The charging voltage for the lithium battery module is 16V DC, accessories plugged into the Tesla Model Y accessory power outlet need to be compatible with 16V DC power. Some accessories, i.e. some 120V power inverters do not operate when presented with higher than 15V DC input. (Tesla now refers to the Model Y having a low voltage system, not a 12V system.)

Dc Volts is dc volts. I was aware the model y doesn’t have an alternator.

Upvote 0