Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y Occasional 100 Percent charging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello,

A new and very happy owner of a MY Long range here in beautiful Anchorage Alaska!

To set up this question, I first have to say that I owned a 2022 Ioniq 5 SEL before purchasing the Model Y, and in the owners manual for the I5, It recommended charging it on AC level 2 power to 100 percent once a month or so to "Recalibrate the BMS system and allow for Cell balancing."

I combed through the Model Y owners manual and cannot seem to find something equivalent there. I know that Tesla has much more data than anyone else on battery management and maybe thats just Hyundai and their system being different.

With that being said, I am wondering, has anyone seen any information as to whether teslas need or would find utility in being charged to 100 percent on any kind of reoccurring basis, and does anyone do this?

While reading this topic yesterday, I've charged my car to 100% and left about one hour later on a 450km trip (had to charge about 20% at a SUC) and now, I'm on 14% SoC. Should I leave the car overnight to let it (?) balance at this level, or charge it at my Wallbox to 50%?
And how can I see the results?

BTW - As far as I know if the SoC is less than 20% the car will not do any unnecessary energy spending (i.e. colling or heating the battery, etc.)
Tesla only performs cell balancing when the battery is at a high (full?) state of charge. I would plug in and charge your Tesla Model Y, now, to 50% or your preferred daily charge limit.

Reactions: Tom Sagrak
Upvote 0
Hello,

A new and very happy owner of a MY Long range here in beautiful Anchorage Alaska!

To set up this question, I first have to say that I owned a 2022 Ioniq 5 SEL before purchasing the Model Y, and in the owners manual for the I5, It recommended charging it on AC level 2 power to 100 percent once a month or so to "Recalibrate the BMS system and allow for Cell balancing."

I combed through the Model Y owners manual and cannot seem to find something equivalent there. I know that Tesla has much more data than anyone else on battery management and maybe thats just Hyundai and their system being different.

With that being said, I am wondering, has anyone seen any information as to whether teslas need or would find utility in being charged to 100 percent on any kind of reoccurring basis, and does anyone do this?
Is 100% charge on MYLR once a month good for extended battery life?

Upvote 0