Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

PowerPack... for home! Why not?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You are missing something. The HD Wave is using a distributed multi-level stepped output to produce something much closer to a sine wave before filtering and smoothing. This increases efficiency and reduces the quantity of magnetics required since it is transferring most of the analog signal processing into the digital domain. It has been done before but only in inverters at much higher power ratings.

Also, your inverter weight comparisons don't look right. The smallest inverter I can find from either PowerOne or SMA weighs over 20 kg. Do you have a reference for a datasheet showing one at 8 kg?

Thanks Schueppert, an example is the SLA 9000TL is actually 35 KG, or 77 LBS. They seem to be a tad lighter, cheaper for sure but not that much lighter.

So, is there any chance we could see this in a solution that would support a powerpack?

- - - Updated - - -

The SMA TL series have an off-grid feature they call "Secure power" where the system will deliver up to 15A to one 120V circuit when the grid goes down. No batteries needed.
Interesting and hopeful but that hardly solves an off grid installation problem

I'm a bit late in reply to this thread, but it seems a good place for a question.
I have both a Tesla MS 85 and solar panels, which I own. I live on Long Island in NY, PSEG my utility company. Currently my monthly electric bill is $12.00, which covers the 100 amps for my HPWC and 200 amps for the house. The $12 includes the "line charge" from PSEG.
Besides maintaining power during blackouts, what reason is there to be totally off the grid with in-house batteries for a home in the suburbs of NYC?

Besides maintaining power during blackouts, what reason is there to be totally off the grid with in-house batteries for a home in the suburbs of NYC?

Not much of a financial reason for you to consider it. You can't purchase and maintain a battery system for $12/month. However, when your electric company cancels Net Metering for all customers and you start paying for electricity again, you may need to reconsider. For example, my local electricity provider is trying to push through demand charges on residential accounts with solar. In this case, an on-site battery bank would help avoid these fees.