Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Powerwall 2 with Solaredge inverter - battery awareness

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi. My PV installer is leading with a Solaredge inverter and giving me options on the battery. If I go for the DC coupled Solaredge battery, the Solaredge app will give me full reporting capabilities including amount of energy diverted to the battery.

I'm struggling to find information on Tesla Powerwall 2 and if the Solaredge inverter will be aware of this load or just treat it like a blind AC load. My understanding is you could DC couple the Powerwall 1 which keeps the inverter aware.

Is anyone here running a current SolarEdge inverter with a PW2? What does the app look like re battery information?

Powerwalls get installed with the Tesla powerwall gateway (over simplifying but thats what would get installed in the above situation), and in all powerwall installs the app looks like tesla describes on its website:

The tesla gateway (that is controlling the power flow) is what has the information in this case.

The Powerwall 1 that used to integrate with the StorEdge inverter has been out of production and unavailable for many years. The Powerwall 2 is a completely AC coupled system that is managed by its own computer inside the Backup Gateway or Powerwall+ inverter. The Tesla system will measure your solar production with CTs so that it can manage the solar and display the production in the Tesla app. The SolarEdge monitoring system will be unaware of the Tesla battery and will only be useful for monitoring solar production, including per-panel production that Tesla can't show. Most people with Powerwall and SolarEdge also don't have SolarEdge grid monitoring and use the Tesla grid and home usage monitoring instead.

• Informative
Reactions: jjrandorin
Hi. My PV installer is leading with a Solaredge inverter and giving me options on the battery. If I go for the DC coupled Solaredge battery, the Solaredge app will give me full reporting capabilities including amount of energy diverted to the battery.

I'm struggling to find information on Tesla Powerwall 2 and if the Solaredge inverter will be aware of this load or just treat it like a blind AC load. My understanding is you could DC couple the Powerwall 1 which keeps the inverter aware.

Is anyone here running a current SolarEdge inverter with a PW2? What does the app look like re battery information?
I have recently had a Solar system installed. Two Powerwall 2's with a SOlar Ede inverter. Recently I've lost all power, even when the batteries are full, when there was a grid outage. A manual reset of the inverter brought it back but it's starting to be a pain as the grid in my area is very unrealiable. The Solar Edge support said it's because the Powerwall is AC coupled and the Solar Edge inverter is SE (not sure what that means honestly) so the inverter doesn't see the batteries and for me work with my installer.

I have recently had a Solar system installed. Two Powerwall 2's with a SOlar Ede inverter. Recently I've lost all power, even when the batteries are full, when there was a grid outage. A manual reset of the inverter brought it back but it's starting to be a pain as the grid in my area is very unrealiable. The Solar Edge support said it's because the Powerwall is AC coupled and the Solar Edge inverter is SE (not sure what that means honestly) so the inverter doesn't see the batteries and for me work with my installer.
If the Powerwalls are 100% full and the grid is off then the Powerwalls are going to raise the frequency to force the inverter to shutdown as there is nowhere for the extra power to go. After the Powerwalls drain down a bit then the inverter will be renabled to recharge them and then be turned off again when the hit 100%.

If you are saying that the Powerwalls are not keep the house online during this time and you aren't exceed the 10kW maximum draw that your two Powerwalls can deliver then that is a call to Tesla to resolve.

Reactions: MP3Mike
If the Powerwalls are 100% full and the grid is off then the Powerwalls are going to raise the frequency to force the inverter to shutdown as there is nowhere for the extra power to go. After the Powerwalls drain down a bit then the inverter will be renabled to recharge them and then be turned off again when the hit 100%.

If you are saying that the Powerwalls are not keep the house online during this time and you aren't exceed the 10kW maximum draw that your two Powerwalls can deliver then that is a call to Tesla to resolve.
Appreciate the response, that makes sense. The powerwalls do keep power going to the house, after a brief outage. When this occurs the Tesla app shows grid disconnect and 0 power being drawn from the Solar panels themselves until I reset the inverter. If this is expected behavior in this scenario that makes me feel better. Thank you.

Appreciate the response, that makes sense. The powerwalls do keep power going to the house, after a brief outage. When this occurs the Tesla app shows grid disconnect and 0 power being drawn from the Solar panels themselves until I reset the inverter. If this is expected behavior in this scenario that makes me feel better. Thank you.

If I understand your two posts, that is expected behavior. The inverter will not turn back on until the powerwalls drain some, in a grid outage. How much the batteries have to drain to allow the solar (pv system... inverter) to come back on depends a bit on the setup, but its usually somewhere between 93-97%.

Your system might be able to be setup to "curtail" (slowly ramp down) solar production rather than "on / off", but that depends on the inverter, how old it is, whether it supports pv curtailment (rather than off / on) etc. Failing all that, "off / on" in the situation you describe is expected behavior.

or...

""Experiencing you are..... expected behavior it is... hmm?"

;)

• Funny
Reactions: BGbreeder

Hi Craig how are you going with this? have you found a workaround? thanks JG

Unfortunately it is blind to SE . Resulting in “solar” charging at night . SE have been unable to solve this and Tesla will not assist. If anyone has a work around to prevent PW2 taking stored power from SE battery it would be very helpful ?