Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Powerwall behavior in backup mode.... normal? And grid charging question...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have two PW's and a 6.5kw array. System is set to backup-only mode. I have had the system up and running for a month.

Through the app, I have observed the following over the course of the last 30 days;
  • PW's never show 100% on the app.... only 99% at full charge
  • According to the app, PW's lose approximately .3kwh or charge every day (a little over 1% daily by my calcs).
  • When the PW's drop below 97% (as shown the app), they will start drawing from solar to bring them up to 99%...this happens about every other day.
Is losing .3kwh in a 24 hour period just sitting idle normal behavior? I guess this would be do to the fans and lights on the batteries???

One more question...completely unrelated. For those who have observed grid charging in Storm Watch mode, or for those who have PW's without solar, how many KW's will the Powerwalls draw from the grid when charging?

thank you!

I have two PW's and a 6.5kw array. System is set to backup-only mode. I have had the system up and running for a month.

Through the app, I have observed the following over the course of the last 30 days;
  • PW's never show 100% on the app.... only 99% at full charge
  • According to the app, PW's lose approximately .3kwh or charge every day (a little over 1% daily by my calcs).
  • When the PW's drop below 97% (as shown the app), they will start drawing from solar to bring them up to 99%...this happens about every other day.
Is losing .3kwh in a 24 hour period just sitting idle normal behavior? I guess this would be do to the fans and lights on the batteries???

One more question...completely unrelated. For those who have observed grid charging in Storm Watch mode, or for those who have PW's without solar, how many KW's will the Powerwalls draw from the grid when charging?

thank you!

Just an FYI.... I spoke with tech support and they were able to remotely upgrade my firmware (from 1.26 to 1.28) and now my PowerWalls do show 100%. He told me that is one of the fixes that was addressed with 1.28. I don't know if 1.28 is the gateway or battery version.

• Helpful
Reactions: hodad66
hey JL, thank you. I would have assumed these firmware updates were pushed automatically?.... I guess not? I've never seen 100% and i've definitely determined that my Powerwalls at idle lose about 1.5% of capacity every 24 hours. they start charging via solar when they hit 96% and stop when they hit 99%. I need to call and speak to a tech.... I also want to understand the programming logic supporting StormWatch. thx!