Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What is PW's KW draw when charging from the grid? I have 2 PW's and they are charging at 2.4kw.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I find three charging rates (in AU):
  • raising backup reserve above state of charge 1.7 kW per battery
  • switching to Backup mode, via OwnerAPI 3.3 kW per battery
  • switching to TBC mode, whilst on OffPeak I see 5 kW per battery
Discharging I can only seem to manage full 5 kW per battery using the TBC mode whilst on Peak, I would certainly like more fine control over discharging.

Screenshot_20231126-191741.png

I find three charging rates (in AU):
  • raising backup reserve above state of charge 1.7 kW per battery
  • switching to Backup mode, via OwnerAPI 3.3 kW per battery
  • switching to TBC mode, whilst on OffPeak I see 5 kW per battery
Discharging I can only seem to manage full 5 kW per battery using the TBC mode whilst on Peak, I would certainly like more fine control over discharging.

View attachment 1011970
Hi @Mark Purcell

How did you manage to discharge back to the grid? I've just signed up to Amber but don't have the option in the Tesla App.

Am I supposed to see the option on a particular screen? Any help would be great, thanks! Looking forward to hearing from you.

Hi @Mark Purcell

How did you manage to discharge back to the grid? I've just signed up to Amber but don't have the option in the Tesla App.

Am I supposed to see the option on a particular screen? Any help would be great, thanks! Looking forward to hearing from you.
You need to use the Time Based Control hack to get Powerwall to export to the grid.

Setup a utility plan in the Tesla app with a high sell price, wait about 15 minutes for the settings to be accepted and then when you switch to Time Based Control it should start exporting in about 3-5 minutes.

Amber will also give you an discharge battery option in their app, once your battery is onboarded.

Reactions: Joesmoe3