Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Powerwall blinking green LED before PTO

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Had my Powerwall installed by a 3rd party certified installer on Dec 1st, 2022 (which in itself took an entire year). This was an add-on to my existing micro-inverter based grid tied rooftop solar system. Awaiting final inspection by my electric utility, which is scheduled for Friday, Jan 13th, 2023. After the install, I noticed the green LED on the side of the Powerwall was constantly blinking, about once per second. This was happening even when the power switch on the Powerwall was in the off position. I inquired with the installer and they told me this is normal after the install prior to PTO. Well tonight, I noticed that the green LED is off. It’s possibly that this is still normal, but my concern is that the Powerwall has finally ran itself dry. Lithium ion batteries can be permanently damaged by sitting at completely empty, which is why 0% SOC is not really empty and there is still a bottom buffer.

I will of course try to reach out to the installer tomorrow. But sometimes it takes them a day or so to get back to me. So I wanted to check with the group here: is this normal, or is it something I should be concerned with? Should I flip the power switch to the ON position on the Powerwall? Any downsides if I did?

45E91EAF-5289-49A8-A5C8-B6B15078FAF6.jpeg

Last edited:
I turned the Powerwall on and now the green LED stays on, no blinking. What’s it supposed to look like during normal operations?

Its a slow pulse / heartbeat type of light. Did they get you setup with the Tesla app for your energy products yet? If not, I would see about power cycling your gateway (the one they installed with the powerwalls), then power cycling the powerwalls, then accessing the gateway via its direct web interface to see its operating mode / status / battery charge percentage.

Had my Powerwall installed by a 3rd party certified installer on Dec 1st, 2022 (which in itself took an entire year). This was an add-on to my existing micro-inverter based grid tied rooftop solar system. Awaiting final inspection by my electric utility, which is scheduled for Friday, Jan 13th, 2023. After the install, I noticed the green LED on the side of the Powerwall was constantly blinking, about once per second. This was happening even when the power switch on the Powerwall was in the off position. I inquired with the installer and they told me this is normal after the install prior to PTO. Well tonight, I noticed that the green LED is off. It’s possibly that this is still normal, but my concern is that the Powerwall has finally ran itself dry. Lithium ion batteries can be permanently damaged by sitting at completely empty, which is why 0% SOC is not really empty and there is still a bottom buffer.

I will of course try to reach out to the installer tomorrow. But sometimes it takes them a day or so to get back to me. So I wanted to check with the group here: is this normal, or is it something I should be concerned with? Should I flip the power switch to the ON position on the Powerwall? Any downsides if I did?

View attachment 893821
As long as the 30A breaker powering the unit remains connected, the powerwall will not discharge and will keep itself alive with grid charging automatically.

Glad to see the locks for the disconenct are now getting deployed with freshly installed units.

When the LEDs are pulsing, that means they are either charging or discharging. Solid means they are charged or in standby.

Thanks for the correction / additional information. My system is in self powered mode (although I have a high reserve atm) so its normally either charging or discharging.

Its a slow pulse / heartbeat type of light. Did they get you setup with the Tesla app for your energy products yet? If not, I would see about power cycling your gateway (the one they installed with the powerwalls), then power cycling the powerwalls, then accessing the gateway via its direct web interface to see its operating mode / status / battery charge percentage.

Not set up in the app yet. The installer is supposed to have someone present at the final inspection, and when that passes, they will activate the system and set it up in the app for me. Or so I've been told.

When the LEDs are pulsing, that means they are either charging or discharging. Solid means they are charged or in standby.
Thanks!

As long as the 30A breaker powering the unit remains connected, the powerwall will not discharge and will keep itself alive with grid charging automatically.

Glad to see the locks for the disconenct are now getting deployed with freshly installed units.
I'm pretty sure the 30A breaker for the PW in the Gateway is in the OFF position. Should I turned it back on?

So I turned the breaker and shutoff switches on, and the green LED on the PW stayed solid. There is no evidence that it’s charging even during the day. I guess that means it’s in standby?

I was able to log into the Gateway and got it registered. It now shows up in my Tesla app, albeit with no data:

B5310A52-C8FF-44B7-B1C6-66E327D6B59C.jpeg

The Gateway’s webpage shows this:

A8FB1E88-9024-4D47-A138-552158B10592.jpeg

It won’t let me start the system though, which make sense, since it hasn’t been commissioned yet.

110D83C5-62C8-4006-927C-CFDD138BEF64.jpeg

So it sounds like everything is as it should be?