Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Powerwall Gateway 1 is stuck on firmware 21.35.3; is there a way to upgrade it?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As mentioned in the title, my powerwall gateway 1 is on 21.35.3; is there a way to upgrade it? It had been not connected to WIFI/cellular for a period of about 1.25 years (from January 2022 till March 2023), and it will not self-update to a more recent firmware. Is this the latest for gateway 1?
The local functionality seems to be unaffected. The Tesla app doesn't show any data (beyond end of 2021), though.

I have a gateway 1, it's running 23.12.11. I still get data. It also happens to have a hardwire connection for primary, but I did configure the WiFi (although I haven't done a test to see if it works). Cellular stopped working some time ago (with the retirement of the gen 2? cellular network), Tesla sent a notice about that.

If it is practical, you can try running wired connection (even if it is just temporary) to get it to update.

• Helpful
Reactions: jjrandorin
Upvote 0
Yes, I did try wiring it via Cat-5 Ethernet (Rj-45), with the same results. I am wondering if there is some magic that can force it to refresh its firmware to the latest. Or any way to diagnose (look at the logs) to understand why it's getting kicked out of Tesla services. It does have connectivity to internet (the router shows few hundred megabytes per day exchanged.)

Upvote 0
Yes, I did try wiring it via Cat-5 Ethernet (Rj-45), with the same results. I am wondering if there is some magic that can force it to refresh its firmware to the latest. Or any way to diagnose (look at the logs) to understand why it's getting kicked out of Tesla services. It does have connectivity to internet (the router shows few hundred megabytes per day exchanged.)
Maybe you should contact Tesla about it? You seem to have an unusual problem of hardware that was out of contact for a long time that you want to be reconnected. It's possible that the API for the equipment has changed and you missed a critical update. If so, Tesla may be able to push a firware to you to kickstart your unit.

Upvote 0