Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

PowerWall not charging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Last week I noticed powerwall failed to charge on solar, Did few checks to see if it can be fixed ? It didnt work & called Tesla and reported. I was told it requires a part to be replaced (unsure which one ?). i am guessing it is CT( Current Transformer ?) because I was able to see the either flow direction of solar sending it to grid OR Energy drawn from grid to home. NOT power splitting from solar between GRID & Home .. Sort of weird ..

Has anyone come across this kind of issue ? if so would you be able to share what might be the cause ?

I waited almost a week & called Tesla for the status, I was told they are still waiting on the part to arrive !!, If it were to be CT , I am guess this is freely available part , or may be different spare part !! Or something else to do with work force ?? Unsure..

Anythought ??

Thanks

Picture of it ..

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    24.1 KB · Views: 602
I had something similar a few months back and like you I called and was expecting a call back in 48 hours from a level 2 engineer.

I gave up and finally narrowed it down to my CT/Neurio had crashes (I have two of them). The one that had crashes was on it's own 15amp breaker, so I just reset it and all is well now. I guess the Neurio had crashes after the 1st instant of Storm Watch and coming out of it (that's the only thing that occurred just before it stopped reporting). I could never confirm it was that as I've had three other Storm Watch since then, but the problem has never re-occured, but then again it's only been two months I think.

Tanks Zanary, It just went off out-of-blue. I understand electronics could fail just like that .. But its pretty NEW system (18 months ;)).

Will try to reset, But not sure how and where to reset ? Any pics would help .. Appreciate your input here .

thanks

Gateway reset it to reboot, & its only possible by turning OFF the MAIN power & Power Wall .. I guess not sure if any options exist ?
Some Backup Gateways have a reset button. If it has it, there is a hole in the inner cover to allow access. Otherwise you have to either pull the connector that carries power to the Gateway computer or you have to cut the power to everything.

The part might be a wiring harness (might be modbus, don't know) that allows the gateway to connect to the neurio via a wired connection. My powerwall wouldn't commission, as it couldn't properly establish comms with the neurio. Tesla support told the installer to use another gateway, and when he explained how much work that would be (my gateway install was into a very tight internal space) they arranged to send out the harness. It took a couple of weeks to arrive.

The part might be a wiring harness (might be modbus, don't know) that allows the gateway to connect to the neurio via a wired connection. My powerwall wouldn't commission, as it couldn't properly establish comms with the neurio. Tesla support told the installer to use another gateway, and when he explained how much work that would be (my gateway install was into a very tight internal space) they arranged to send out the harness. It took a couple of weeks to arrive.
Did you ever get this fixed? I'm having a similar issue. Solar is dumping all power back to grid. Powerwalls a 0%, and set to Backup mode. Tried resetting the Gateway using the button through the hole, and also tried shutting down all power (including Power walls, MAIN power, etc) for 10 mins and rebooting. Still no dice.

The system was installed in December 2020, and I just got the PTO (6 months later).. another long story by itself. I have a 16kw system w/ 3 powerwalls. Powerwalls charged from Grid a few times from Storm Watch, but have never once charged from Solar, and have been sitting at 0% for a few months now.

Did you ever get this fixed? I'm having a similar issue. Solar is dumping all power back to grid. Powerwalls a 0%, and set to Backup mode. Tried resetting the Gateway using the button through the hole, and also tried shutting down all power (including Power walls, MAIN power, etc) for 10 mins and rebooting. Still no dice.

The system was installed in December 2020, and I just got the PTO (6 months later).. another long story by itself. I have a 16kw system w/ 3 powerwalls. Powerwalls charged from Grid a few times from Storm Watch, but have never once charged from Solar, and have been sitting at 0% for a few months now.
Did you ever have Tesla respond/come out? I have had an issue with one of my two powerwalls not charging and Tesla came out and replaced one. They could not figure out what the problem was so they just replaced it. Worked fine for a few weeks but now my powerwalls are discharging down to 20% before morning and I’m using grid power for a few hours every morning. I used to be able to use strictly stored energy from the powerwall all night until the solar kicked in. I have been sending in service requests and have called 4 times and Tesla does not respond, and I cannot get a Tier 2 engineer on the phone. The rep says the Tier 2 rep will contact me but they never do. This isn’t inspiring confidence in the company, especially since the system was installed only 4 months ago

I would keep calling. (877) 798-3752 I think that follow up isn't a strong suit for Tesla Energy, but especially for Tier 2. I have an ongoing issue with a Powerwall that Tier 2 keeps saying the Powerwall is OK, when it keeps failing in new ways. So, to my mind, clearly not "OK". Tier 2 keeps marking the issues as "solved, no follow up needed", and the first Tier reps seem surprised when I call back.

All the best,

BG

My powerwall 2 just fitted went offline 1 day later , solar is working but powerwall at 0% and seem to drop 95% of energy within minutes ? , here is the image

Attachments

• E6F721E8-EF74-43FE-AA40-7E48CBB1ACC0.jpeg
    E6F721E8-EF74-43FE-AA40-7E48CBB1ACC0.jpeg
    118.1 KB · Views: 99
Last week I noticed powerwall failed to charge on solar, Did few checks to see if it can be fixed ? It didnt work & called Tesla and reported. I was told it requires a part to be replaced (unsure which one ?). i am guessing it is CT( Current Transformer ?) because I was able to see the either flow direction of solar sending it to grid OR Energy drawn from grid to home. NOT power splitting from solar between GRID & Home .. Sort of weird ..

Has anyone come across this kind of issue ? if so would you be able to share what might be the cause ?

I waited almost a week & called Tesla for the status, I was told they are still waiting on the part to arrive !!, If it were to be CT , I am guess this is freely available part , or may be different spare part !! Or something else to do with work force ?? Unsure..

Anythought ??

Which number did you call?